recovery from lost or un paid-for Windows XP license. RRS feed

• Question

• To

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=1003&SiteID=25

I work unpaid in my spare time for a number of charities helping disabled people when they have difficulties.

One of my clients who is both wheel-chair bound and has Parkinson’s bought a computer from a shop.

He then had to go into hospital before he could get round to using it.

When he eventually left hospital to enter a “home”, he wanted to use the computer to keep in touch with those he could no longer visit etc.

He could not get the computer to work.

I was called in. He had a number of small problems which I fixed. I then noticed that he was running Windows XP without any Service Packs. I started the process of downloading SP2 only to be told by Windows XP that it was a VLK version that was unlicensed. The owner of the computer was surprised because, as far as he was concerned, he had bought in good faith a working computer "complete".

The shop he had bought it from has gone bankrupt so he cannot go back to the shop (even if he was still able to travel.) We do not know if the VLK licensing was caught up in the shop’s bankruptcy.

XP gave a phone number (0870 60 10 100). I phoned it. The person who responded asked if I was in front of the keyboard.  I explained the situation and said I was not in front of the client’s computer because I was at work. I was asked to phone back when I was in front of the computer. I asked the Microsoft person when they were open.  It became apparent that I could never be in front of the computer (in my spare time) when the Microsoft phone line was open as I work the same hours as Microsoft and this client is many miles from my work and home.

"No Problem," said the Microsoft person, "we can work with people who are disabled."

So, I asked my client to phone Microsoft. He did. He could not understand the Microsoft person and reported that the Microsoft person did not seem to want to spend the time trying to understand him. In précis, he got nowhere. As Microsoft claims to support disabled people, I was surprised at the apparent lack of helpfulness.

I phoned back Microsoft as second time and spoke to somebody who was even less helpful.

So what should my client do to resolve the licensing problem?

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:05 PM

Answers

• Using the computer in question, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on (Get Genuine) which will provide information on your available options which will include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:36 PM