Windows 7 - New Product Code needed after Windows 10 Disaster RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sony Vaio laptop that came pre-installed with Windows 7 (bought in 2013). It was an Intel i7 with an AMD Radeon graphics card - decently high-end for the time and the most expensive laptop Sony was selling in India at the time.

In 2016, the Windows-10 update pop-up came and after a few months, I decided to go through the update. Everything was fine in the beginning - the transition was smooth and everything was working perfectly.

Then, after about 3-months or so, I started getting display driver issues. First, my display driver would just stop working. I would have to re-start the driver and that would solve the issue.

I read, on various forums, that certain AMD graphics cards (older ones) seemed to be having issues with the Windows 10 upgrade. There were many solutions there such as installing the latest drivers, uninstall-reinstall drivers, etc.

Again, windows would run for a bit and then graphics driver would stop working. This reached the point where my screen would just get scrambled. The computer wouldn't shut down but it would get scrambled completely.

Now, it doesn't stay on at all beyond the initial 80-seconds (if I am lucky). Most of the time, my screen gets scrambled while the PC is starting up.

However, if I go into recovery and troubleshooting - on start-up - it stays on without any issues - for hours! I have tried resetting my PC through the Windows Recovery tools that Windows 10 provides upon failed start-ups, but it has not helped.

I decided to go back to Windows 7, but there was no way for me to do a roll-back as the deadline had passed. Now, I need to get genuine Windows-7 but cannot find my old product key (the sticker came off the laptop and the retailer does not have it).

Is there any way I can find my old Windows 7 key?

If the product is registered with Microsoft (which it was), is there some way for me to find my key through their website?

And if there is not, is there a place where I can just buy a Windows 7 key?

Any help would be wonderful!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:16 AM

Answers

• It would be unusual for a machine bought in 2013 to be shipped with Windows 7, since by that time Windows 8.1 had been released. All Windows 7 machines shipped at that time would have been 'downgrades' from Windows 8/8.1.

As such the ONLY way you can reinstall Windows 7 is to use the proper Sony  Recovery media - which should have come with the machine. You may be able to purchase a set of disks from Sony, if not.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 9:41 AM