none
SyncToy 2.0 Freezes during a sync, but SyncToy 1.4 works fine RRS feed

• Question

• I installed SyncToy 2.0 to synchronize a network folder to a external hard drive and then the external hard drive to my local hard drive.  There are two jobs, Backup PSSP, which is a sync and Backup Seagate, which is an echo.  When this runs, it freezes during the process.  I did notice that the symptom is that it freezes on the last folder.

Please note that I am processing over 100,000 files in both jobs, but only about 15 - 20 actions actually take place.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc, but SyncToy 2.0 will not work.  However, I installed SyncToy 1.4 and it works fine.  Same jobs, same criteria, etc.

What am I doing wrong or what have I missed?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Are you sure that it freezes and is not just taking a long time? We know our first sync's are slow. We have not seen anyone complain about sync's that freeze up.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi -

Are you sure that it freezes and is not just taking a long time? We know our first sync's are slow. We have not seen anyone complain about sync's that freeze up.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:36 PM
  • There was only 1 file in the folder and I waited over 30 minutes.  It should not take that long, I would think.  Perhaps I am wrong and it takes that long for the first time.  The interesting part is that it would freeze on the last folder everytime.  To test that, I would create a new folder and add a dummy text file.  The folder that would freeze/take a long time would sync in seconds.  Then it would stop on the new folder with the one file.  I then added five new folders, all with one text file in them.  It would sync all the files correctly, up to the last folder.  Then it either freezes or takes a long time.
    Keith Roberts
    Friday, March 6, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Keith,

I just posted a question about similar behavior and then found your post... anything yet? Mine does not wait for the last folder, but it freezes on the same one each time I kill and re-launch. It seems to be more common on the "Adding an action" step. Maybe a downgrade is appropriate here.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:08 PM