ICE2 & auto-hide RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows8.1 I had the issue that the taskbar would not auto-hide, and the culprit was ICE2.

The reason? Not sure, but my best guess:

I had ICE2 running but iconized, my last stitch was saved via export, but not as a panorama (I never save them as a panorama), and ICE2 treats these as "unsaved", presumably also keeping the taskbar in alert mode so that it would not hide. On a similar note, the "do you really want to discard this, you haven't saved this" question is in that situation also annoying.  It would be nice if future releases treated an export as a "save" in that respect. 

Not sure why anyone would want to save a stitch as a panorama, unless you have another image editor that understands that file format and can do more with those.  With ICE2 itself, there seems to be very little one can do with an existing panorama, so why single out that file format over others? I post-process the ICE2-generated file always with an image editor, usually PaintShop Pro; mostly just a case of small rotations, size reductions and crop.

Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:22 AM

Answers

• There's nothing in ICE that attempts to keep the taskbar visible, and I wasn't able to reproduce the taskbar auto-hiding problem.  Can you be more specific about the steps leading up to the problem?

As a side note, the reason ICE prompts you to save your project as an SPJ file is so that you can reproduce or edit the panorama later on.  This is useful if you want to get the same projection and rotation you had before, and even more useful if you spend time selecting portions of video frames to include in a video panorama.  By opening the SPJ project file, you can start where you left off and make changes, rather than starting from scratch.  There's no need to save SPJ files if you don't want them, but at least ICE warns you when you're about to discard information.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:27 AM

All replies

• While I doubt it to be the cause of your issue I'd like to vote up your suggestion for removing the save confirmation when exiting ICE. Such a warning makes sense for text or graphics editors but is rather annoying in ICE because in 99% of cases you actually don't want to save because you already exported your pano and you're done.
    Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:59 PM
  • There's nothing in ICE that attempts to keep the taskbar visible, and I wasn't able to reproduce the taskbar auto-hiding problem.  Can you be more specific about the steps leading up to the problem?

As a side note, the reason ICE prompts you to save your project as an SPJ file is so that you can reproduce or edit the panorama later on.  This is useful if you want to get the same projection and rotation you had before, and even more useful if you spend time selecting portions of video frames to include in a video panorama.  By opening the SPJ project file, you can start where you left off and make changes, rather than starting from scratch.  There's no need to save SPJ files if you don't want them, but at least ICE warns you when you're about to discard information.

Eric Stollnitz, Computational Photography Group, Microsoft Research

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:27 AM