Encryption options in Vail? RRS feed

• Question

• I read that Bitlocker is not supported, but EFS is. In Server 2003, EFS was using user specific keys and sharing encrypted users between multiple users was not possible. Also it was not possible to encrypt an entire drive (or starting from root folder) which also made it impossible to have WHS backups being encrypted (unless using 3rd party tools).

I monitored the discussion on deal breakers and failure of two drives potentially dying at the same time, but what makes me more nervous is the WHS being stolen or burned or the backup being stored externally but unencrypted. I was hoping that Vail supported BitLocker, but that´s apparently not happening. What are the options to encrypt all data with Vail? what is the key management supported? (if the key is stored on the system part, this is fine for backups  but not for the pool). What are the options to do encrypted and incremental and automated backups to online storage? (I dislike anyone else being able to read my personal data, but I am also lazy).

Answers to that can definitly make me buy Vail (at reasonable cost)...

Thanks & Best regards, Joachim

Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:53 PM

Answers

• There is nothing in this (beta) version of the product to support encryption. It's there in the underlying OS, and (per Microsoft, if I've understood correctly) won't cause Drive Extender to choke, but it's not exposed in the Vail Dashboard. Personally, I very strongly doubt that it will ever be exposed in the Dashboard; it's just not a consideration for home users. Business users may be a different matter, but remember that Vail is a home server operating system.

That said, if you would like to be able to (for example) turn on encryption for a share in the Dashboard, you can certainly make a product suggestion on Connect . I'll even vote it up. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:24 PM

All replies

• There is nothing in this (beta) version of the product to support encryption. It's there in the underlying OS, and (per Microsoft, if I've understood correctly) won't cause Drive Extender to choke, but it's not exposed in the Vail Dashboard. Personally, I very strongly doubt that it will ever be exposed in the Dashboard; it's just not a consideration for home users. Business users may be a different matter, but remember that Vail is a home server operating system.

That said, if you would like to be able to (for example) turn on encryption for a share in the Dashboard, you can certainly make a product suggestion on Connect . I'll even vote it up. :)

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I will compile a suggestion for Connect, but I disagree with your opinion that encryption is not relevant to home users. See, I am moving lots of documents from paper to digital archives in order to save space and to ease access (they are now indexed and available from everywhere) - this includes highly sensitive information. I know others are doing the same, whether they are aware of the risk or not. I want this data to be protected against thieves (which is due to the space reduction now much easier to grab once they are in) and other accidents and today I cannot (with reasonable effort). I don´t think this is not relevant to home users, it is just noone is offering them a solution. The WHS approach of keeping the relevant things simple to use rather than being able to do everything if you are an expert (the NAS approach) could easily be extended to include encryption. With the proper wizards generating the keys, guiding the user to export them to a safe location, etc. MS could really be gamechanging with Vail.

Best regards, Joachim 

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:48 AM
  • I also would like to see encryption in Vail.  My house was robbed, and the thieves got my laptop.  My laptop disk was not encrypted, and I lost personal information that could lead to identity theft.

My MediaSmart server would be very easy to steal.

I know QNAP makes NAS devices which support encryption.  If it doesn't look like Vail will offer encryption, I'll have to go with something else.  That's unfortunate.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:23 AM
  • Store your sensitive information in password-encrypted files, preferably some compressed format that uses good encryption.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:14 PM