Skype - limited connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I have the following problem. I am running 2 notebooks at home, both vista, only one with onecare. The problem of the one with onecare is whenever i use skype, i do net get the full connection. the connection is always limited, according to skype transfer rate is below 1kbs, and makes it impossible to have any skype calls on this machine.

I already allowed the skype program full access, even I opened up the port of this program, including all ports above as well. still, i have no chance of getting this to work. My other notebook though works absolutely fine, and unfortunately I must admit, that the internet seems to be faster on this one than the one running onecare.

So, is there any chance of getting skype to work properly and maybe stop onecare from using so much ressources to speed up my internet?

Please let me know what possibilities I have, I would really hate to uninstall this nice program.

Regards,
    A2k
    Friday, March 13, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• Try turning off the OneCare firewall to see if that makes a difference. If it does, I suspect a conflict or other problem as OneCare does not, to my knowledge, interfere with Skype as nobody else has reported that here in the forums.
    Since you also noted that you think OneCare is using lots of resources, that would also indicate a problem as OneCare should actually be less resource intensive than many other security programs.
    You may want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:06 PM

All replies

• Try turning off the OneCare firewall to see if that makes a difference. If it does, I suspect a conflict or other problem as OneCare does not, to my knowledge, interfere with Skype as nobody else has reported that here in the forums.
    Since you also noted that you think OneCare is using lots of resources, that would also indicate a problem as OneCare should actually be less resource intensive than many other security programs.
    You may want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Friday, March 13, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I followed the steps and tried to reach the support, although without success. whenever the screen where i fill in the error details comes, and i press send, it takes around 10min and then i get the error message that there was a problem and i should try again later. neither email or chat works, i didnt try telephone support since i am in china right´now.

any other ideas what might cause these symptoms with skype and the internet? i dont have any other firewall installed and generally keep my autostart clean. every help would be useful.

thanks,
    a2k
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I can't suggest anything else for the Skype issue other than trying Skype support. Did you turn off the OneCare firewall and was the problem resolved?

If you can't get through to OneCare support:

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/3c294930-2686-4876-86bc-decfe80fbed6
    I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Monday, March 16, 2009 4:38 PM