Off Topic:I need help with Windows Firewall settings. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Guys,

My first message so go easy on me, lol.

My wife plays an on-line Bingo game on a site where the players can talk to each other (via text, not actual voice).
    Only snag is that since November, her ability to use the chat service has been problematic to say the least.
    After loads of phone calls and e-mails to the site's Help desk it seems that my Firewall settings on either the PC or the router are causing the problem.
    This issue is on all PCs on the home network.
    The upshot is that I have been advised to ......
    No, better yet, here's a copy of the mail I have been sent by the Customer support team..................

Please be advised that your enquiry has been looked into and can confirm it has now been established that if a customer is able to connect to galabingo.co.uk but not able to get chat that this is a local firewall issue. It appears that the firewall either on your PC or on your router has been set to block the URL we call to start Titan Chat. We don't want to advise you to turn your firewall settings off so please read the information below so that you can adjust your secuirty settings accordingly:
    Allow inbound and outbound connections to: 
    <http://*egalacoral.com>
    and
    https://*.egalacoral.com
    Allow outbound connections to:
    tcpport414
    and
    I apologise for any inconvenience caused and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact either myself or the Gala Customer Services team.
    Kind regards,
    Laura

The only snag is that I haven't got a clue how to do what she is telling me needs doing.

My PCs are all running XP of one kind or another with the standard Windows Firewall.

I have been into the Firewall from Control Panel and what I see is that the firewall is enabled but that Exceptions are allowed. Going to the exceptions list, I see that all the exceptions are the names of programmes running on my computer. Names such as my Anti-virus, my Wi-Fi and iTunes etc.  Clicking on "Add a programme" gives me a list of other progs already on my PC with file names starting with  C:\Program Files\ ...... There is another button there for "Add a port" but I have no idea what that means but clicking on it gives me 2 blank lines labelled "Name" and "Port number" with radio buttons for  TCP and UDP. There is a dot in the TCP one.

Does anyone have any idea how I can do what is suggested in the mail from the Help desk?

I've asked them what it all means and how to do it but they say that because of liability issues, they are not allowed to tell me how to do things to my Firewall in case it causes any problems with viruses etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Sunday, April 20, 2008 1:24 PM

All replies