Windows Live Writer suddenly stopped uploading images when publishing posts to a blog running wordpress software.

• Basically I was happily using WLW for a few months, and then a couple of weeks ago, when I hit the publish button, the images don't appear in the blog posts.  When I check out the folder using my ftp client and noticed that it's not even bothering to upload the images.

I am using xml-rpc to publish my posts, and it has worked fine for a couple of months now.
    Also I am interfacing with wordpress 2.7.1 -- the latest plugin I have installed was google xml sitemaps plugin, the rest have all been installed prior to using WLW.
    Then it just stops uploading the images along with the blog post.  It doesn't even give me an error, and simply acts as though it's done it.

I'm using the latest version of WLW with Windows XP Home

There's one other thing that may have fouled things up a bit.  I was "back dating" a post because I wanted it to show up in an opposite order of another post which I posted previously.  The post in the wordpress dashboard said "missed" schedule as it was scheduled for later, and then I rescheduled it for an older date.  I may have screwed something up with that, but I think probably not, as that is something specific to wordpress itself.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:50 AM

All replies

• Google XML Sitemaps plugin for Wordpress has been known to cause problems in the past with XML-RPC(this is how Windows Live Writer talks to the blog).  Can you try disabling it and then trying to use WLW again?
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Apparently I couldn't reply to your message, in any case I deactivated the google sitemaps plugin, but still the images would not upload.  Not only that but the actual filename it chose, it appended a number to each image.  I put five images, and each one had a sequential number after it...  Apr07.png became Apr071.png (in actual html, it still hasn't uploaded anything).
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Can you email me your Windows Live Writer log file?

Help > About > Show Log File
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Friday, April 10, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Okay sent.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem right now with Windows Live Writer.

The pictures are not being uploaded to the database.

This database was recently imported from my localhost to the database on my webserver (I created a project on my local machine, and just copied the db over), and now when I publish posts, it won't upload images.

Monday, May 04, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Nvm, I found my problem.  Pictures were being uploaded to the wrong place :(
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I am having a problem as well. I can publish from Windows Live Writer when there are no pictures, but as soon as I add a picture, I get an error 500 message.

Can I email you my error log as well?

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:14 PM
  • I am having the same issue. It just started this morning when trying to post to a blog
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:36 PM
  • I see the file but how do I send it to you ?
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I have the same issue, but Google Sitemap plugin is not installed.  Also, I can use WLW to post just fine using my laptop but I get the 500 error when I use my desktop.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 10:57 PM