My system Drive is too small - solution? RRS feed

• Question

• I set up my system with a 250GB drive, then added a 500GB drive.

What happens if I choose <delete drive> on my system disk?

If this won't work can I use Acronis to clone the system disk onto a larger disk then swap the original for the new (larger ) disk?

Advice appreciated.

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:53 AM

All replies

• You can't "remove" your system disk from the storage pool.

Using tools like Acronis to clone a disk is an unsupported way of replacing the system disk. That said, some here have successfully done so. The approved method is to remove the system disk, install a larger one, and perform a server reinstallation. That's an option at the beginning of the install that gives you the ability to preserve the data in your storage pool
    Monday, February 25, 2008 12:53 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You can't "remove" your system disk from the storage pool.

Using tools like Acronis to clone a disk is an unsupported way of replacing the system disk. That said, some here have successfully done so. The approved method is to remove the system disk, install a larger one, and perform a server reinstallation. That's an option at the beginning of the install that gives you the ability to preserve the data in your storage pool

The biggest issue with that being that you lose all your settings, you do keep all your data though

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You can't "remove" your system disk from the storage pool.

Thanks, Ken.

I have decided to start from scratch, install a new system disk, reinstall and do complete new backups on all my home machines.

Hope there is no trouble reactivating the WHS software.

Regards,

Ray

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 9:51 AM
  •  

I am suffereing errors on the system disk of a two disk array.  If I add a third disk (I have one to hand) will the load balancing automatically move all the data off the system disk (All disks are 500Gb and currently I have something like 50%, 80% usage on the two).

I'm assuming a server reistallation will be faster if there is no data on the system disk to rebuild.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Just adding a third disk to your server doesn't guarantee that anything currently on the system disk will be moved off immediately. If you're experiencing errors from the system disk, then I would recommend just replacing it and doing a server reinstallation. As long as all your shares are flagged for duplication, you won't lose any of the files you have stored on WHS. You may lose your backups, if any components of the backup database are stored on the system disk. Before you do a server reinstallation, you should make sure that duplication is turned on for all your shares, and give the server a day or so to finish balancing.

To be safe, you may want to copy the files currently in your shares to external storage before reinstallation. As an alternative, if you're planning to replace the failing disk with another of similar size, you could disconnect the secondary disk, do a clean server installation on the new primary, then connect the second disk (without adding it to the storage pool) and copy the files from your shares back to the storage pool. Then you can add your second disk to the pool and turn on duplication.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:17 PM