SharePoint 2007 presence integration with OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint is being used by a lot of companies these days and I didn't see a thread devoted to SP integration with OCS 2007.

Is there doc that describes this with both WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007?  In particular, we are interested in using presence within SP to allow web conferencing to be launched.

Is Communicator 2007 the client gateway in relation to SP (which is accessible through IE), or is OCS 2007 directly through AD ? 

Is there a presence web part like with LCS 2005 and if so where is it loaded from ?

How does SP's use of AD sync with OCS 2007 ?

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:28 PM

Answers

• Sharepoint itself has almost nothing to do with presence integration.  The components to facilitate this are provided by having Office 2003/2007 and Communicator 2005/2007 installed.  You should see presence by all names of OCS enabled users, or you can add the members web part to a Sharepoint page (it might be called something different in MOSS - I don't have a Sharepoint system in front of me to check).

The AD synchronization components of Sharepoint and OCS are completely separate.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:46 AM

All replies

• Sharepoint itself has almost nothing to do with presence integration.  The components to facilitate this are provided by having Office 2003/2007 and Communicator 2005/2007 installed.  You should see presence by all names of OCS enabled users, or you can add the members web part to a Sharepoint page (it might be called something different in MOSS - I don't have a Sharepoint system in front of me to check).

The AD synchronization components of Sharepoint and OCS are completely separate.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Mike,

Thanks very much for the explanation, we will try that.  As far as the AD sync, assuming an existing live  SharePoint site (WSS v3), there is built-in with Outlook 2007 a bi-directional contacts sync function with SharePoint.  We have added a members web part and it shows members for the site from the AD.

You indicate that the SharePoint AD is completely seperate, but I thought is just Win2003 AD ... is there a procedure that you recommend to add users to OCS, short of manually?

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Sorry, I should have been more descriptive.  The source of the data is the same for both OCS and Sharepoint - Active Directory.  However, the synchronization processes are separate.  OCS has a User Replicator function that pulls the necessary data from AD.  Sharepoint has its own process.

The ability to sychronize a contact list to Outlook is again a separate connection that relies on the interoperability between Outlook 2007 and Sharepoint.

You can use the lcsaddcontacts.wsf script to pre-populate contacts for your users.  Make sure to use the /contactsGroup switch if you'll be using Communicator 2007.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:30 PM
  • is there any solution for OCS integration with Sharepoint??
    if can any one share related documents??

Regards
    Crew

Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I have the same question.
    How does OCS 2007 r2 integrate with Sharepoint 2007 to show Presence? We have both systems installed but would like to have a better understanding of how presence works between the two systems.
     If anyone knows please let me konw, or point me to documentation.. 

Thanks all.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:57 AM
  • I have the same question. Is there anybody that has some more info on ocs / sharepoint integration features?
    Microsoft Unified Communications (Dutch) Blog @ www.MsUC.nl
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:37 AM
  • You may use (OCSCM) Microsoft Office Communications Server Contact Manager.It's an administration mmc tool that will integrate with Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007 and Active Directory to provide an easy way to provision OCS users’ contacts list.   OCSCM is designed to show you how to manage the contacts and groups for individual ocs users by interacting with the Active Directory Domain Services and Microsoft Office Communication Server 2007/R2 and lcs 2005.

download from http://www.ocscm.com
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:36 PM