Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Given the loss of DE, I am evaluating my possible alternative solutions.  Given I have four 1.5 TB disks, in WHS 2011 can I make two software spanned volumes of 3 TB each and instead of mirroring setup server backup to backup one 3 TB volume to the other?

The only risk in this setup is that I could potentially lose data after I write data and before the daily system backup.

Will this setup even function?  And if so are there any other risks to it?  For example, if my primary 3 TB volume dies will I be able to completely recover it using the system backup?

Thanks

Friday, March 4, 2011 10:00 PM

Answers

• Using the dashboard backup setup functionality you're limited to
    backing up a maximum of 2TB, period.

You'll have to use the Windows 2008 backup app to split up the backups
    and set everything up yourself.

Otherwise it should work.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, March 4, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• Using the dashboard backup setup functionality you're limited to
    backing up a maximum of 2TB, period.

You'll have to use the Windows 2008 backup app to split up the backups
    and set everything up yourself.

Otherwise it should work.

Friday, March 4, 2011 10:06 PM
  • So it's not possible to specify multiple backup drives in the WHS 2011 Dashboard to take 2TB slices of the total server storage? We have to use the underlying Windows Server 2008 backup utility with all its IT speak?

This is looking less and less like a product that can be used by the average home consumer.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:51 AM
  • >So it's not possible to specify multiple backup drives in the WHS 2011 Dashboard to take 2TB slices of the total server storage?

Yep, you cannot use dashboard to do that.

>We have to use the underlying Windows Server 2008 backup utility with all its IT speak?

Exactly.

>This is looking less and less like a product that can be used by the average home consumer.

It's fine for those who would purchase a ready made small storage (up
    to 2TB) WHS appliance, though expansion is very much compromised
    compared to WHS 1 for "normal" users.

I bet you could handle the more advanced stuff, and it is there, but
    you'll have to figure things out...

Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:51 PM
  • It's fine for those who would purchase a ready made small storage (up
    to 2TB) WHS appliance, though expansion is very much compromised
    compared to WHS 1 for "normal" users.

I bet you could handle the more advanced stuff, and it is there, but
    you'll have to figure things out...

Ye gods. It seems to me as though Microsoft has missed the target market by a mile.

Yes, I can figure this stuff out - but the whole point is that, if WHS 2011 were a product for the home consumer market, I shouldn't have to. Is Microsoft deliberately setting up WHS 2011 to fail?

Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:35 PM
  • >Yes, I can figure this stuff out - but the whole point is that, if WHS 2011 were a product for the home consumer market, I shouldn't have to.

I can't argue that point, it'll be a pain for me too, I agree. They
    don't want it to fail, there's no logic to that -- they just think
    this is the best way to go.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 7:12 PM
  • "This is looking less and less like a product that can be used by the average home consumer."

Yep. Both of you have hit the nail on the head and it's perfectly understandable why the *** HOME USER *** would be very uncomfortable using and learning the the native BU app in Server08/R2.

Please post your own thoghts on this issue at the following and the last response from MS should be read very very carefully to glean a sence of what SP1 MAY look like which is about one year down the road from the RTM date. See:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/647558/server-backup-is-broken#tabs

Ditto...MS doesn't want the product to fail and they also clearly understand that the Dashboard Server BU is severly lacking BUT they have currently engineered it so it's not a BUG in the technical sense of the word. Just usless :) I would exspect that the "enthusiast" community may produce an addin that uses wbadmin and thus hides the Server08/R2 BU application from the Home User.

HTH :)

Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:45 PM
  • "This is looking less and less like a product that can be used by the average home consumer."

Please post your own thoghts on this issue at the following and the last response from MS should be read very very carefully to glean a sence of what SP1 MAY look like which is about one year down the road from the RTM date. See:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/647558/server-backup-is-broken#tabs

Important issue: I'd say so, since there are already 30 votes. I gave 'em a list of demands, which I think should also be posted here. I kind of gathered all the thoughts up and condensed them as follows:

OK, Microsoft, I'm going to put you on the spot here. First and foremost, we are customers of Microsoft, not the other way around. For the very reason we're testing your product you should pay attention to us. We're the closest representative of the general public you will ever have. Because, unless things have changed drastically, most of those who have the "public" beta/RC will never come here; either because they don't understand how to get here, they can't be bothered, or because they don't have access.

What we want:

1. The ability to configure Server backup to work the same as Client backup. Most HOME users will not understand that they can, never less understand how to use Server 2008 R2 backup.
    2. This is a HOME server; rather than continue on that path, Microsoft has changed horses midstream and now has decided the to use the business side of things; therefore, the HOME user is not able to comfortably use it. We want the HOME put back into Windows Server!
    3. We need true documentation; fumbling around trying to make something work without any instructions is for the birds! How does Microsoft expect us to use the product intelligently without docs?
    4. Release candidate means everything is pretty much a done deal; however, we have no instructions. Why not?
    5. Although I will never use over 2 TB of storage, there are many home users who will! Give us the ability to add storage if we need it.
    6. So, Microsoft has produced an inferior product and as is typical, says, "It will be difficult to make changes at this level at this point in the product cycle." Umm, pardon me, but Microsoft didn't listen to us when we told them Windows Vista wasn't ready for production either! Guess what . . . ? Most of us remember that fiasco.
    7. Microsoft says, "All of these issues are on the top of list for the next version and/or servicing and the 2TB issue should go away with the next version of the VHD format. (not suggesting that this helps in the interim)" Good grief, Microsoft! Didn't you learn your lesson with Windows Vista, never mind Windows ME! Learn to listen to those of us who have a clue, even if your leadership doesn't!

In the end, it's your product, but I'm here to make WHS 2011 the best it can be. Y'know what? I can't do that if you won't listen to me and my peers.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Nancy, good list of points. I think discovering that WHS 2011 will not backup more than 2TB out of the box (while I currently have 5TB on my WHS V1) was the final nail in the coffin containing my hopes that WHS 2011 was aimed at home users.
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Nancy, good list of points. I think discovering that WHS 2011 will not backup more than 2TB out of the box <http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/i-dont-believe-it-2/> (while I currently have 5TB on my WHS V1) was the final nail in the coffin containing my hopes that WHS 2011 was aimed at home users.

Thanks. One more thing I think Microsoft needs to know . . . most of us won't get on the soap box, but we will vote with our pocketbooks.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Nancy, good list of points. I think discovering that WHS 2011 will not backup more than 2TB out of the box (while I currently have 5TB on my WHS V1) was the final nail in the coffin containing my hopes that WHS 2011 was aimed at home users.

How are you able to backup the 5TB of data that you currently have in WHS v1? 
    Monday, March 7, 2011 12:59 AM
  • How are you able to backup the 5TB of data that you currently have in WHS v1?

Very simple, Setho. With WHS v1 we have DE (Drive Extender), which means we can add hard drives as we need them.

That's not possible with WHS 2011, as far as I can tell from posts here. We're limited to 2 TB and when that's used up, we're SOL. We cannot add new (or old) drives to add more storage space.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, March 7, 2011 2:33 AM
  • In the WHS Console, Computers and Backups Tab, select your home server and then backup now.  If you have more than one drive added to the backup pool, I have four 1.5TB drives, you will see your shared folders and to the right drop downs that allow you to select which of the four drives you wish to back up a particular shared folder.  Go through this process with each shared folder to evenly distribute them across the back up drives.  Ensure you check "Remember these settings for future backups" and away you go.

It takes a little pre-planning the FIRST time, but after that, just click on backup now and it starts and will move through the backup drives automatically.  Part of my pre-planning was to ensure I have no shared folder over 1.5 TB.  Hence I have Video (created by default) Video 2, Video 3, etc.  2 and 3 were created in the WHS console.  Once any default WHS Console Shared Folder approaches my 1.5TB limit, I create another in the sequence.  There are twelve drives in my system, four 1.5TB backup drives, six 2.0TB drive pool drives, and one 2.5 inch 500 Seagate Momentus hybrid drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591
     that contains the 20 GB system partition and the remaining for the storage pool.  The last drive is a 2.0 TB that has not been added to either the storage pool or backup pool.  I have shared it out (not from the WHS Console) and it is visible to only me on my client machine(s) in the shared folders.  No one else sees it.  It contains data that does not play well with DE and duplication, and also is a temp holding area for recorded TV (SiliconDust Network Tuner) until I move it to the proper shared folder.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Nancy, good list of points. I think discovering that WHS 2011 will not backup more than 2TB out of the box <http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/i-dont-believe-it-2/> (while I currently have 5TB on my WHS V1) was the final nail in the coffin containing my hopes that WHS 2011 was aimed at home users.

How are you able to backup the 5TB of data that you currently have in WHS v1?

BullDawg
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:17 AM
  • Nancy,

I am aware of DE in WHS v1, my own system at one time had 15 drives.  The question is that it is disingenuos to complain about the 2TB limitation in external backup in WHS 2011 in comparison to WHS v1, when v1 did not have that feature.  A big storage pool with duplication like RAID is no substitute for backup.

Monday, March 7, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I am aware of DE in WHS v1, my own system at one time had 15 drives.  The question is that it is disingenuos to complain about the 2TB limitation in external backup in WHS 2011 in comparison to WHS v1, when v1 did not have that feature.  A big storage pool with duplication like RAID is no substitute for backup.

Ah, I get it now! I misread what you said.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:25 PM