ATI Catalyst Driver won't install and run - "CCC cannot be started because the currently active GPU is not supported." RRS feed

• Question

• All, seeing nobody else seems to be having this issue ... I assume that I am doing something wrong ... but if anyone has a suggestion where I can look ... I would appreciate it.

My WHS crashed due to a failed video card, and I decided to reinstall - because I have a lot of experience with WHS reinstallation :-). The system is up and running (generally fine). I have put a new XFX HD4350 video board in. The ATI 10.2 catalyst driver, CCC and WDM would not install. I changed the ATI Setup.exe to run under XP compatible mode ... and everything installed. Rebooting indicated that the XFX HD4350 was indeed installed. Running CCC however gives me an error indicating “… cannot be started because the currently active GPU is not supported."

I have posted a question to XFX. ATI doesn't seem to indicate that their drivers work with WIndows Home Server - so they are no help???

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get around this?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:43 PM

Answers

• All, seeing nobody else seems to be having this issue ... I assume that I am doing something wrong ... but if anyone has a suggestion where I can look ... I would appreciate it.

My WHS crashed due to a failed video card, and I decided to reinstall - because I have a lot of experience with WHS reinstallation :-). The system is up and running (generally fine). I have put a new XFX HD4350 video board in. The ATI 10.2 catalyst driver, CCC and WDM would not install. I changed the ATI Setup.exe to run under XP compatible mode ... and everything installed. Rebooting indicated that the XFX HD4350 was indeed installed. Running CCC however gives me an error indicating “… cannot be started because the currently active GPU is not supported."

I have posted a question to XFX. ATI doesn't seem to indicate that their drivers work with WIndows Home Server - so they are no help???

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it.  I would pull the video card from the server, box it up and put it away (or leave it there but not worry about installing any of the drivers for it).  You don't need a video card in the server anyway (except during OS installation).
    • Marked as answer by Aussie_1 Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:49 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it.  I would pull the video card from the server, box it up and put it away (or leave it there but not worry about installing any of the drivers for it).  You don't need a video card in the server anyway (except during OS installation).
    • Marked as answer by Aussie_1 Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:49 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:53 PM
  • I presume that I would disable "Halts" in the the BIOS to allow me to pull the card.

Just the same I like the option of having the card in there to allow me to check the system ... maybe I will have to "get over it"
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:04 PM
  • If you can't set your server to continue POST on a "no video" error, and you don't want to leave your expensive video card in your server (I wouldn't :) ), buy a cheap PCI video card (you can get them for under $30) and install that. Don't bother with drivers, though; your server isn't designed to be used as a desktop machine, so you won't be running heavy video or graphics directly on the server, and the generic "in box" VGA driver is adequate for normal use.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:34 PM
  • kariya21 and Ken,

OK ... thanks for your thoughts.  I am actually running a $30 video card ... for the reasons you suggest ... I just hate it when I can't resolve "basic" issues like video card installation ... :-| The old video card, before it blew up, worked fine.

Just for the record ... XFX suggested that I try installing in Safe mode ... maybe when I get some time ... I'll try ... and report back.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:49 PM