restoring after reinstall XP RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare seems to fail to restore the last few months of backups. My computer underwent a name change in the reinstallation process.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:29 AM

Answers

• If you did a reinstall of Windows and are now trying to restore your OneCare backup, you need to do two things:

1. The backup files need to exist on the same media for the restore as when they were backed up. That is, if you backed up to a network Share, the restore must be from a Network Share.

2. You must use the option to do a custom restore since the backup is from another computer. The new OneCare install knows nothing of the previous backup until you point to it for the restore.

You may want to configure and perform a backup from the reinstalled PC to the location (Network Share) using a selection in "what" for very few files to be backed up - example, uncheck all file types and select only mail and let backup do a backup of your mail files. Then, use the restore process to select the backups from "another computer."

If you need help with this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• I should add that the affected programs are Outlook (the data files) and Quicken (the data files).

I used OneCare to backup almost every day to an external hard drive.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:36 AM
  • I should add

The error message states that network share name entered is  invalid. This appears when I try to add a network location and select browse, then select possible data files.

I do not see incremental backups in the OneCare folder when I browse the backup location.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:46 AM
  • If you did a reinstall of Windows and are now trying to restore your OneCare backup, you need to do two things:

1. The backup files need to exist on the same media for the restore as when they were backed up. That is, if you backed up to a network Share, the restore must be from a Network Share.

2. You must use the option to do a custom restore since the backup is from another computer. The new OneCare install knows nothing of the previous backup until you point to it for the restore.

You may want to configure and perform a backup from the reinstalled PC to the location (Network Share) using a selection in "what" for very few files to be backed up - example, uncheck all file types and select only mail and let backup do a backup of your mail files. Then, use the restore process to select the backups from "another computer."

If you need help with this, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:13 PM