internet connection sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to share my Verizon Mobile Broadband connection from my WHS to other computers in the house. I have set up the modem with sharing but I am not sure how the other computers get their IP address without installing DHCP.

Do I have to disable Windows Firewall and install Routing and Remote Access?

My IPCONFIG shows:
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.106
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Verizon:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.211.71.251
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 75.211.71.251

TIA

Steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:44 AM

All replies

• Buy a $40 802.11g 10/100 ethernet router at your local big-box store. Plug the broadband modem into the WAN (Internet) port, then plug your other devices, including your WHS server. You'll have to configure port-forwarding on the router to allow http connections from the internet to reach WHS, if you want remote access. If the router plays well with UPNP, WHS may be able to do that for you.

Wireless routers are actually cheaper than those without wireless. If you don't want wireless, you can always shut off the radio. That gets you a plain ethernet router.

DSLReports.com is a good source of home networking information for novices.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Thanks Chris, but it is not that easy. The mobile broadband modem is a USB device, not an ethernet one. I know there should be a way to share the connection but am at a loss as to how.

Thanks,

Steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:22 PM
  • I'm going to suggest you consult with Verizon on this, Steve. But don't be too surprised if they tell you that what you want to to is a violation of your contract, and that you can buy the service you want at $XXX additional per month. (Where XXX is a figure that makes you wince really hard. :) ) Is this intended as a "backup" network connection, or is your only connection via your cellular modem?

As for Internet Connection Sharing, it's not supported on Windows Home Server, and in order to do so you will have to violate the EULA for the product, as configuring your server in this way requires you to enable several server roles (DHCP, for example, and maybe DNS) which are not enabled out of the box. If you decide to pursue this, you may also find that your server isn't able to provide remote access, that remote access is unreliable, or that internal connectivity to your server is unreliable, because Windows Home Server also doesn't support multi-homed configurations, where you have two or more active and connected network interfaces at once. All of that said, it can be done. I did it as an experiment a couple of years ago (though I've since lost my notes on the steps I took, sorry).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

I just cannot understand why ICS was not included with WHS. It just seems a natural that you might want the server to actually be the gateway to the internet. Heck, I can even do that on my Vista and XP machines. The only problem is that those are not always powered up, as is WHS.

Verizon doesn't have a clue what people are doing with their wireless broadband cards. I think they just turn a blind eye. It is the only real option where I live. We don't get cable, no DSL and satellite will not work with VPNs, so we're stuck. I have thought about a T1 line but the $$$$.

I may play with DHCP and routing to see if I can get it to work. It would be nice to get the internet on all my computers. :0

Steve
    • Proposed as answer by iJAC Friday, October 16, 2009 7:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:55 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:35 PM
  • This search may be of some assistance. Honestly, using your server as a router is not recommended or supported for a number of excellent reasons.

Edit: Another option just occurred to me. Get a small, inexpensive PC (a mini-ITX solution might be ideal), find a linux distro with support for your cellular modem, and use that as a router. There are dozens of tutorials on the net describing how to do this...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Sorry. Didn't see the word 'mobile'. I live on the urban fringe and many folks I know have no broadband options.

How about buying a cheap used laptop on ebay and putting that in your network? Shut off the screen and leave it running for that sole purpose?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:31 AM