none
How do Wiki View Milestone Points Work? RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I understood how the points work for Wiki view milestones. This article explains:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17776.technet-wiki-how-to-earn-recognition-points-and-achievement-medals.aspx

But now I'm not so sure. In my profile activities I sometimes see an article achieve more than one milestone at a time. I also see an article achieve a milestone that it already achieved.

In the past, I believed we got 5 points when an article we authored achieved 500 views (15 minutes of fame). Then, when the article achieved 1000 views (critical mass) we got 10 points. But I see these two milestones listed together, which makes me think we actually achieve a total of 15 points when the 1000 view milestone is reached. We get credit for the second 500 views, plus the 1000.

In other cases I see articles achieve the 1000 view milestone (critical mass) more than once. Perhaps it gets listed in our activities when the article reaches 1000 views, then again at 2000 views.

Does anyone agree with this? When an article we author reaches 5000 views (has possibly gone viral), has the article earned us a cumulative total of 70 points over time (5+10+25+30). Or has it earned more. Could it have earned 155 points (5x10 + 10x5 + 25 + 30). The article achieved 500 views 10 times, 1000 views 5 times, 3000 views once, and 5000 views once.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, and today I see you got the "15 minutes of fame" and "critical mass" milestones for the same article.

Your profile implies that you authored all of those articles. My profile does as well. I have another thread where I state that all points for milestones are awarded as if we authored the articles, whether we did not:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c1be5138-8d22-4067-8d98-c40c5088166f/new-msdn-profile-and-wiki-milestone-points-problem?forum=Profile

All of this may help explain why we have never been able to figure out where our points come from (at least the people active in the Wiki). The only other strange thing is that my points often increment by numbers that are not multiples of 5. The only way I see that can happen (for me) is if I get points for articles I edit. Perhaps the profile information is wrong, and we really only get the points we deserve for articles we edit (but not publish).

Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:19 PM
  • I think your first assumption (of cumulative total) seems to be correct.

Say, if you use the new profile view and go to my activity and filter by Articles activity only, you can see these 3 lines:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/naomi%20%20n/activity

7/6/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has reached critical mass. Well done! " style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article 
    +5
    7/4/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has achieved its 15 minutes of fame. Congratulations!" style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article 
    +10
    7/4/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has reached critical mass. Well done! " style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article <a href="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19719.scsm2012-orchestrator-powershell-authoring-tool.aspx" style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;color:#3075bb;cursor:pointer;text-decoration:none;background:transparent;" target="_blank" title="Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell">Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012

Also, this is not an article I authored, but may have edited. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:56 PM

All replies

• I think your first assumption (of cumulative total) seems to be correct.

Say, if you use the new profile view and go to my activity and filter by Articles activity only, you can see these 3 lines:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/naomi%20%20n/activity

7/6/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has reached critical mass. Well done! " style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article 
    +5
    7/4/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has achieved its 15 minutes of fame. Congratulations!" style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article 
    +10
    7/4/2015
    Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell on the TechNet Wiki has reached critical mass. Well done! " style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;word-wrap:normal;width:500px;white-space:nowrap;text-" title="">The article <a href="http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19719.scsm2012-orchestrator-powershell-authoring-tool.aspx" style="box-sizing:inherit;border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px;color:#3075bb;cursor:pointer;text-decoration:none;background:transparent;" target="_blank" title="Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012<->Orchestrator<->PowerShell">Обработка входных данных с Портала самообслуживания в связке SCSM2012

Also, this is not an article I authored, but may have edited. 

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, July 16, 2015 6:56 PM
  • Yes, and today I see you got the "15 minutes of fame" and "critical mass" milestones for the same article.

Your profile implies that you authored all of those articles. My profile does as well. I have another thread where I state that all points for milestones are awarded as if we authored the articles, whether we did not:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c1be5138-8d22-4067-8d98-c40c5088166f/new-msdn-profile-and-wiki-milestone-points-problem?forum=Profile

All of this may help explain why we have never been able to figure out where our points come from (at least the people active in the Wiki). The only other strange thing is that my points often increment by numbers that are not multiples of 5. The only way I see that can happen (for me) is if I get points for articles I edit. Perhaps the profile information is wrong, and we really only get the points we deserve for articles we edit (but not publish).

Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:19 PM