Linksys wrt54gl RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have a Linksys wrt54gl working with WHS web site domain access that is NOT using dd-wrt or Tomato firmware? I have a ver 1.1 wrt54gl that I cannot seem to get to fly, port forwarding I can get 80 open but not 443 or 4125, I tried forwarding to another machine and they still come up blocked using shieldsup  and port detective. All firewall settings are set in exceptions with the added ports. Don't know if I should just go with a diiferent modem or try the firmware update. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark G 

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:25 PM

Answers

• Well after much goinig back and forth with my ISP, I finally was able to verify at least port 443 is open and I am pretty sure 4125 also and 80 . All the garden variety of port sniffers use different terminology, for instance shields up will tell you a stealth port is present, this does not mean it is blocked howerver, port detective will give a Open or Closed scenario. The router seems to be doiing its job, forwarding Ok. I built this machine myself and I have Web Server Software that came with the mother Board (Super micro PDM SMA +) I installed it and I really like it, Its Xtiami open source web server. However my problem is gettin my server to work with the WHS website also, I know it can be done but my skill level might not be up to it. From what I can gather there are two ways to do this through a DNS or An IP. I am still trying to figure this all out but for now the router appears to be doing what it should.  Will post when I can concerning the Web server software. Anyone with expieriance with this web server and how to configure it feel free!

Mark G.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Working Now,

Remote access is finally now working!!  Anyone who is building there own box, if you are using a Supermicro mother board, DO NOT INSTALL SUPERO DOCTOR III SOFTWARE!! Unless you want to try and configure the Xitami web server software, which can be done I am sure but since ity is open source and not really up to date the support is somewhat lacking.  I still have it loaded on my server but it is shut down, I am afraid to uninstall it!!!! Because everything is working now, maybe down the road I will. But if it aint broke me no fix. Hope this helps anyone with a supermicro MB.

Mark G.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:57 PM

All replies

• Do those "blocked" ports show as Closed or STEALTH?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Ken,

The ports came up stealth, (on shieldsup) on  the server and I tried to forward to one on my machines on the network and had the same results. Port detective says blocked, but I think GRC is more accurate.

Mark G

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:54 PM
  • If 443 shows as STEALTH on SheildsUp! then something, probably your ISP, is blocking that port. Without that port you won't be able to get Windows Home Server Remote Access working. You can contact your ISP, but don't be surprised if they either refuse to open the ports, or ask you to upgrade to business class service.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:05 PM
  •  

I have spoke with there tech support twice already and they "Insist!" those ports are not blocked, I should have mentioned that, unless they really don't know what they are doing but I don't have any other way to prove they are not blocking them. I did have to upgrade to open up 80, which I would rather use 443. I need to borrow a router or buy one.

Mark G

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:16 PM
  • Not to be obvious but did actually save the settings in the router? Have you tried rebooting the router?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:33 PM
  •  

Yes Yes
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:04 PM
  • Just for a test you should hook your server or a computer with no firewall directly to your isp connection (modem) and then run shields up.  This will tell you if it is your router or not.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:23 AM
  • I changed out the modem scientific atlanta 2203c to a Motorola Surf Bd. SVB5120. I connected the modem directly into the back of one of my machines, disabled the firewall and ran port detective and it says 443 is open. From this I can pretty much sermise the router to be the culprit. The other Modem I cannot say definitly is part of the problem. I am still figuring out what to do, either try updating the firmware with dd-wrt/tomato or buy a new router. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark G.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:39 PM
  • I assume you setup a static IP address on your server?  Then you forwarded the ports correctly on the router?  You can always setup a temp dmz to see if that fixes the problem. I had a wrt router once and uPNP worked for me.
    Friday, May 16, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Well after much goinig back and forth with my ISP, I finally was able to verify at least port 443 is open and I am pretty sure 4125 also and 80 . All the garden variety of port sniffers use different terminology, for instance shields up will tell you a stealth port is present, this does not mean it is blocked howerver, port detective will give a Open or Closed scenario. The router seems to be doiing its job, forwarding Ok. I built this machine myself and I have Web Server Software that came with the mother Board (Super micro PDM SMA +) I installed it and I really like it, Its Xtiami open source web server. However my problem is gettin my server to work with the WHS website also, I know it can be done but my skill level might not be up to it. From what I can gather there are two ways to do this through a DNS or An IP. I am still trying to figure this all out but for now the router appears to be doing what it should.  Will post when I can concerning the Web server software. Anyone with expieriance with this web server and how to configure it feel free!

Mark G.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Working Now,

Remote access is finally now working!!  Anyone who is building there own box, if you are using a Supermicro mother board, DO NOT INSTALL SUPERO DOCTOR III SOFTWARE!! Unless you want to try and configure the Xitami web server software, which can be done I am sure but since ity is open source and not really up to date the support is somewhat lacking.  I still have it loaded on my server but it is shut down, I am afraid to uninstall it!!!! Because everything is working now, maybe down the road I will. But if it aint broke me no fix. Hope this helps anyone with a supermicro MB.

Mark G.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:57 PM