Sharing my Music Folder with iTunes...is it safely possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have WHS2011 and I am happily storing all my MP3's under the Music Folder.  As I have a Windows Phone 7.5, I use Zune to sync songs from the WHS Music Folder to my phone no problem.  Maybe this question has already been answered, but I also have a new iPod Touch I would like to sync songs from the WHS2011 Music Folder to.  However, I am wary of adding the WHS2011 music folder to iTunes, as I dont want iTunes to start messing with the cover art, tags, folder structure, etc.  Is there a safe way to add the WHS2011 Music Folder to iTunes so both Zune and iTunes can share the same music folder?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ringo 

Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• I would be more afraid of WHS messing up your carefully added metadata! It runs a scheduled task called "Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer" which will overwrite metadata to its own purpose. Thankfully you can disable this in the Server Task Scheduler.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Yes, iTunes can coexist with Windows media--poorly.  Here are the limitations:

1. iTunes knows nothing about Windows 7 Libraries, and will not monitor library folders for new media; you have to manually import media into iTunes, and reimport as necessary to get your media to show up in the iTunes library. 

2. iTunes will not directly import WMA files--but will transcode them to AAC, making duplicates along the way.  WMV files are not supported at all.

3. You don't really have to worry about iTunes downloading new cover art. In fact, it's basically impossible to get cover art through iTunes for any files you didn't purchase from Apple.  You'll have to download cover art manually and import that into the files yourself.

4. There's work involved if you want iTunes and Windows to have a common view of media stored locally on your computer.  Since by default iTunes puts its own media library inside your My Music folder in Windows 7, whenever iTunes transcodes files or makes copies, these new items will show up as duplicates in Windows Media Player, Zune and WMC.  You either have to move the iTunes library outside of your Windows 7 library altogether, or point your Windows Music library at the iTunes media subfolder rather than at /users/you/music

The good news is I have not found a problem with pointing iTunes at media folders stored on Windows Home Server.  If you keep all your media on the server you should find it relatively easy to keep iTunes and Zune in sync.  Just remember that iTunes won't find new files that you add to your media library on its own.  You have to manually import them.

Monday, February 6, 2012 5:42 AM