Balancing Clarification RRS feed

• Question

• Looking through the PP1 documentation it says:

·         In this update both migration as well as rebalancing files across volumes for better space utilization is initiated under the following conditions:

1.       Every hour.

2.       When the Drive Extender Migrator service starts up – typically when you first turn on your home server.

3.       When a shared folder is added or removed using the Windows Home Server Console’s Shared Folders tab.

4.       When duplication on a shared folder is turned on or off.

5.       When a hard drive is added to Server Storage using the Windows Home Server Console.

So, if I add a file to a share that already has folder duplication turned on, then the primary drive fails shortly thereafter (say 20 min), is my file gone?  If so, can the balancing timing be changed (to say, for example, every 15 minutes)?
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 1:27 AM

Answers

• A while ago, Microsoft told us that files are actually redirected to the secondary drives immediately; the file only occupies it's full size on the primary drive as a tombstone, and that's only until the next balancing pass. But if the secondary drive on which the file is written fails before the first balancing pass, then yes, I suppose that file could be lost.

If the frequency of balancing is configurable, it'll be in the registry. Wait for PP1 beta and check to see...
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:37 AM

All replies

• A while ago, Microsoft told us that files are actually redirected to the secondary drives immediately; the file only occupies it's full size on the primary drive as a tombstone, and that's only until the next balancing pass. But if the secondary drive on which the file is written fails before the first balancing pass, then yes, I suppose that file could be lost.

If the frequency of balancing is configurable, it'll be in the registry. Wait for PP1 beta and check to see...
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    A while ago, Microsoft told us that files are actually redirected to the secondary drives immediately; the file only occupies it's full size on the primary drive as a tombstone, and that's only until the next balancing pass. But if the secondary drive on which the file is written fails before the first balancing pass, then yes, I suppose that file could be lost.

That's what I was afraid of.  (Sounds like DE went from "overeager" to "lazy".)

Ken Warren wrote:

I hope you're right.  (Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for RTM.  I'm not installing any beta software on my production server and I don't have enough resources to build another one to test.)

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:07 AM