off topic - Problem with Family Safety and Webkinz.com RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I installed Windows Live OneCare Family Safety on my childrens' computer a couple months ago.  The computer runs XP SP2 with all updates, including the latest Family Safety v2008 and Adobe Flash software 9.0.47.  The Family Safety system is working well so far, except for one website, www.webkinz.com .

I have added *.webkinz.com/* and the related website 66.48.69.102/* to the allowed sites list. That allows the Webkinz.com homepage to run correctly.  When they login, an Adobe Flash 9 pop up window appears to allow them to enter their username and password.  When the login information is entered, this popup Flash window is also the window for the game itself.  Unfortunately, the popup window doesn't work correctly after login and the window remains green and inactive.

Disabling the Family Safety software from the tray icon allows the Webkinz flash popup and game to work correctly.  This would indicate a bug with Family Safety and Flash.  Does anyone have a workaround for this issue, other than to disable the Family Safety software every time they wish to play this popular game?

Saturday, November 24, 2007 7:09 PM

All replies

• Even though Family Safety shares the Windows Live OneCare naming, it is a different program than the topic of this forum. Support for the Family Safety program is via this web form - https://support.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlfamilysafety

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:46 AM
  • I'm no expert, but I was curious about your settings for Family Safety and whether your proxy (if there is one in this case) could be part of your problem.  I havent run into this situation, but I personally do not have any settings set for very young children. 

I would also post this on the Family site blog http://familysafety.spaces.live.com/

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:10 AM
  •  

I wish I knew.  Every other website the kids use seems to work just fine, including those with java, flash, etc.  Webkinz FAQ has a list of IP addresses you must enter in security software and of course I've done that.  I exchanged a few emails with FS support before I gave up.

It's sad that I have to completely defeat the safety software with an override.  I guess I need to look for another solution.  I'll try posting in that blog, thank you!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 2:36 PM
  • In addition to the list of IP addresses on the Webkinz FAQ, also add exceptions (allow) for 66.48.69.101and 66.48.83.216.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:45 PM