Hardware question for Windows Home Server version 1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Home Server (first generation) with this setup:

Drive 1 - Sata disk (only OS)

Drive 2 - Western Digital Green 1,5Tb WD15EARS (Storage disc)

Drive 3 - Western Digital Green 1,5Tb WD15EARS (Storage disc)

I have 1 free sata slot, so i want to add one more disc, the question is if i can add a Western Digital Green 3TB (6GB SATA). The old green disc`s is only 3GB SATA.

Or will there be issues when one of the drives is bigger and faster than the others?

Also, how will storage balance work when there is 3 drives? Will all files be stored on all three drives??

Best Regards
    Håkon

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 6:45 PM

Answers

• I think I am correct in saying that WHS1 will only use 2TB of the 3TB disk, thus wasting the rest. There should not be any problem with having both 3 GB/sec and 6GB/sec drives mixed - does your Motherboard support 6GB/sec at full speed?

As for duplication, duplicated data will only be stored on two of your 3 disks and thus provides protection against a single disk failure.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by IL-DUCE Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

• I think I am correct in saying that WHS1 will only use 2TB of the 3TB disk, thus wasting the rest. There should not be any problem with having both 3 GB/sec and 6GB/sec drives mixed - does your Motherboard support 6GB/sec at full speed?

As for duplication, duplicated data will only be stored on two of your 3 disks and thus provides protection against a single disk failure.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by IL-DUCE Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:32 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Hello and thanks for your answere Phil.

So there is a limitation in the OS so that it support maximum 2TB disc`s? 

Actually im not sure if the motherboard supports 6GB, but eitherway the disc should funciont okay (running 3GB)?

Maybe the best solution would be to byu the same 1,5TB disc that i allready have in the server.

EDIT:

Afther searching a bit i found this discussion: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/68/p/77277/381074.aspx

Conclusion seems to be that 2TB size on disc is the limit, because bigger discs requires GPT partition, wich the WHS generation 1 does not support.

Best Regards
    Håkon

• Edited by IL-DUCE Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Conclusion seems to be that 2TB size on disc is the limit, because bigger discs requires GPT partition, wich the WHS generation 1 does not support.
    That's correct, so I would suggest either a WD20EARS (3GB/sec) which are cheaper than the WD20EARX (6GB/sec).

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:13 PM