WHS with a Mac running bootcamp RRS feed

• Question

• If I buy a macbook and run Windows Vista via bootcamp, will WHS back up just the bootcamp partition or the whole laptop?
    Friday, June 29, 2007 6:53 AM

Answers

• It is my understanding that it will only back up the Vista install on the bootcamp partition, though I'm not sure what the support is for Windows running on Apple hardware.  I can say, however, that it will not back up the HFS+ formatted OS-X partition, as there is absolutely no support for backing up OS-X.

You will also have to be booted into Vista when the backup is scheduled to occur if you want to use the automatic backup feature, otherwise WHS will assume the machine is switched off and not back it up.

I've been pushing for better OS-X support, and so have several other people, but I'm not expecting to see it any time soon.

Friday, June 29, 2007 1:48 PM

All replies

• It is my understanding that it will only back up the Vista install on the bootcamp partition, though I'm not sure what the support is for Windows running on Apple hardware.  I can say, however, that it will not back up the HFS+ formatted OS-X partition, as there is absolutely no support for backing up OS-X.

You will also have to be booted into Vista when the backup is scheduled to occur if you want to use the automatic backup feature, otherwise WHS will assume the machine is switched off and not back it up.

I've been pushing for better OS-X support, and so have several other people, but I'm not expecting to see it any time soon.

Friday, June 29, 2007 1:48 PM
  • Brian is correct. WHS will only backup NTFS partitions. So if you want to use Windows with BootCamp, make sure to use NTFS (>32G) and not FAT32.

You can access the WHS folders while running OSX by using SMB via the Finder.

Friday, June 29, 2007 1:57 PM