Incorrect Password - can't login to server or remote RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS 2011. When I got to the desktop, I installed Windows updates, as well as my mobo's software and drivers (Asus M4A785-M).

When I rebooted and tried to login, it says my password is incorrect - I've tried many times, and I know I'm entering the correct password. When I try to install the connector software, it asks for the console password, and I get the same error.

I've seen a thread about problems with Nvidia drivers on WHS v.1 - this mobo is ATI based. But I'm assuming something I installed screwed something up.

Any thoughts on what do without re-installing? I can access the installation hard drive from another computer if necessary.

Thanks!

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:26 AM

Answers

• Olaf, thanks so much for the response. It definitely wasn't a CAPS issue - I'm fairly certain it was a program I had installed (the pass had one special char, 14-char long). I ended up re-installing, since I didn't have anything on there. Good to go now, except for this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/a019a4b8-2b4c-4863-9dba-5732077f921b
    • Marked as answer by jefffirefly Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:00 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:00 AM

All replies

• Did you have CAPS lock on while entering the password? If so, the password must be entered with identical caps.

Did you use any special characters in password? Although I know this bug only from Live ID in context with configuring remote access.

How long was your password?

I think in the current stage a reinstall would not be that ugly and time consuming. Other than that also exist some 3rd party tools to reset the Administrator password (google for pnordahl), but I am not sure if this would have any side effects for WHS components.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Unmarked as answer by jefffirefly Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:00 AM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 11:59 PM
  • Olaf, thanks so much for the response. It definitely wasn't a CAPS issue - I'm fairly certain it was a program I had installed (the pass had one special char, 14-char long). I ended up re-installing, since I didn't have anything on there. Good to go now, except for this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/a019a4b8-2b4c-4863-9dba-5732077f921b
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 1:00 AM
  • I had the same issue, and found it to be that the keyboard was set to US on install, despite me selecting UK at the appropriate point, and then UK when I was logging in for the first time.

To resolve this, I used normal characters for the password and after logging in deleted the US keyboard setting and reset the password to a complex one with special characters such as @£$%^&* this then worked on all subsequent login attempts.

Steve Rouse
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:03 AM
  • The locale setting process during the install leaves a lot to be desired (some of us don't live in America). Like you I set all the available options to UK during the install but still had to go and clean up afterwards. I have used a Linux based password SAM reset disk before (mostly when removing PCs from a domain with disabled local admin account) although it has problems setting a new password and I had to make it blank.
    25 years of loving (and too often hating) everything Microsoft.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:40 AM