Any chance 'Configure Data Synchronization' will be updated for new clients/server providers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm being lazy I know. But having the new CTP installed and updating a VS project to reference the new dlls, I was kind of hoping the GUI configuration tool would magically show the new optional clients and providers.

For now should I just take the existing generated code and start to modify?

Also, it'd be nice if the SDK allowed redistribution of the configuration bits. I know it's just the standard OLEDB dialog + it's just that it would be so nice to be able to just call on a separate configuration module in a deployed application sometimes.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately,  we are still trying to figure out how we execute on our toooling strategy as we recognize that robust tooling is important.  That being said, there is no tooling support for SyncFx v2 ctp2.  Apologies for the inconvenience.  Regarding switching connections, this can made to be more dynamic by exposing the connection information in your providers to the infrastrucure you use to check-in changes to production.

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:22 PM

All replies

• Some questions:

1.  What do you mean when you say GUI configuration tool?  Are you referring to the "Local Database Cache" which shipped in Visual Studio 2008?
    2.  What do you mean when you say "configuration bits"?

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hi Sean
    1) Yes, when you add the Local Database Cache part and the 'Configure Data Synchronization' dialog starts up. I mean that.
    2) I mean taking a piece of the designer tool and just subclassing in your own app. So that the deployment of the app would allow easy reconfiguration of the Server Connection if necessary. I realize that a change of the Server Connection requires setting the new target server up with Change Tracking if using SQL 2008 so I'd have to run the setup scripts again.

I required this only because I wanted to have a deployed app that allowed my test group to switch back and forth between a test and production server. I apologize for not being more clear in my question.

Anyway, sync services is slick. I am used to other SQL Server replication scenarios and have to get used to the differences in the model. When I installed Sync Framework 2.0 CTP I was looking for additions to the Configure Data Synchronization reflecting the new clients/providers.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Unfortunately,  we are still trying to figure out how we execute on our toooling strategy as we recognize that robust tooling is important.  That being said, there is no tooling support for SyncFx v2 ctp2.  Apologies for the inconvenience.  Regarding switching connections, this can made to be more dynamic by exposing the connection information in your providers to the infrastrucure you use to check-in changes to production.

Regards,

Sean Kelley
    Program Manager
    Microsoft
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:22 PM