PC restore failing with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• The PC is windows 7 pro with all updates, windows home server with all updates.  I put the WHS PC restore cd in the windows 7 PC and boot. It boots off the cd finds network drivers etc, but can not find the network, I have pulled the PC and WHS off the regular network (SBS 2003) and plugged them into a router with DHCP, same result. Error message is "The wizard cannot find your home server." etc.... options are to Search Again or to find manually.  neither work, when I give it the WHS server name, I get an error message, A network error has cccurred. please verify etc...  The network connection is fine, the PC will boot in safe mode and get on the internet. I had this same problem last week with another client who has a SBS2008 network.  I finally reinstalled windows and restored the data.   I donot want take that path again.  The WHS is an HP EX485 with PP3 installed. The restore cd is ver 2.  I found a restored cd in microsoft downloads, but it gave me a .msi file so I have not gone any further with it.  Not sure what needs to be done to make it a bootable cd. How to I make this work?  tks Lee

Lee
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 4:37 AM

Answers

• Ken

Thanks for your response.  It did lead me to a resolution.

Well the problem is still not solved, but rather resolved.  Ken was correct about the Realtek network card, but alas, none of the referenced drivers would load and override the drivers from the PC restore CD.  I resorted to a second network card.  I found a DLink card on the pile and jammed it in there and then the restore worked.  It recoginized the DLink network card as well as the Realtek, but was finally able to find the server and perform the restore.  What is the real solution to this problem?  Is it the new PC restore cd that I downloaded? If so, how do I transform the file "restorecd.msi" to a bootable restore cd?  Thanks Lee

Lee
    • Marked as answer by Leon Baehre Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:15 PM

All replies

• Please see this FAQ (you may have a similar problem with a different NIC) and this one.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Ken

Thanks for your response.  It did lead me to a resolution.

Well the problem is still not solved, but rather resolved.  Ken was correct about the Realtek network card, but alas, none of the referenced drivers would load and override the drivers from the PC restore CD.  I resorted to a second network card.  I found a DLink card on the pile and jammed it in there and then the restore worked.  It recoginized the DLink network card as well as the Realtek, but was finally able to find the server and perform the restore.  What is the real solution to this problem?  Is it the new PC restore cd that I downloaded? If so, how do I transform the file "restorecd.msi" to a bootable restore cd?  Thanks Lee

Lee
    • Marked as answer by Leon Baehre Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:15 PM