I have Windows XPSP3 installed .Why can’t I use remote access to log into my Windows Home Server? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have Windows XPSP3 installed why can’t I use remote access to log into my Windows Home Server?

You cannot connect to a remote computer or start a remote application when you use Terminal Services Web Access or Remote Web Workspace on a Windows XP SP3-based or Windows Small Business Server 2003 SP1-based computer

Workaround:

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. Visit the Web site that is causing this problem.
    3. If you are using Windows Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:
      1. On the Tools menu, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons. The Manage Add-ons dialog box appears.
      2. In the list of add-ins, search for the Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control ActiveX control or for the Microsoft RDP client Control ActiveX control.
      3. Click the control, click Enable, and then click OK to close the Manage Add-ons dialog box
        If you are using Internet Explorer 6, follow these steps:
      4. On the Tools menu, click Manage Add-ons. The Manage Add-ons dialog box appears.
      5. In the list of add-ins, search for the Microsoft Terminal Services Client Control ActiveX control or for the Microsoft RDP client Control ActiveX control.
      6. Click the control, click Enable, and then click OK to close the Manage Add-ons dialog box.
    4. Add the site to your Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer.
    5. Restart Internet Explorer.
    6. Try to connect to the remote computer. Or, try to start the remote application.

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:43 PM

All replies

• "I cannot enable the Add-On, because it is not listed. What now?"

A bug during the Service Pack installation may cause the situation, that the Add-On is not installed. In this case you can perform the installation manually performing following steps:
    From a slipstreamed version of Windows XP with integrated Service Pack 3 (eventually also from an unpacked Service Pack or from c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386), copy the files 
    tscdsbl.ba_
    tscuinst.vb_
    into a new created folder on your clients disk (i.e. c:\tsinstall).
    In Command Prompt change to that folder with the command
    cd \tsinstall
    and type following commands:
    expand tscdsbl.ba_ tscdsbl.bat [Enter] (-> this represents hitting the Enter key on your keyboard)
    expand tscuinst.vb_ tscuinst.vbs [Enter]
    Execute these files with
    tscdsbl.bat [Enter]
    tscuinst.vbs [Enter]

This should put in the Add-On, so that it now can be found in Internet Explorer after the first attempt to load the Website as described in the first part of this FAQ.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:46 AM