cannot download any additional files or programs RRS feed

• Question

• since loading onecare i have been unable to download any files or additional programs its also unable to see my external hard drive

R D Bufford
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:27 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate to Windows Live OneCare Firewall)
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:17 AM

Answers

• If the external drive is connected via USB and you can't see it in Explorer/My Computer, that isn't a OneCare issue and I'd suggest unplugging it and plugging it back in.
    If you are able to access the Internet, but installing using downloaded installers that need Internet access, your firewall may be blocking the installer. Are you seeing any error messages? Do you have any other active security software? Did you uninstall other security software that may still have bits left behind? Either case can cause conflicts and all sorts of odd behavior.
    If you are unable to identify any conflicting software and continue to have problems, I suggest contacting support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• If the external drive is connected via USB and you can't see it in Explorer/My Computer, that isn't a OneCare issue and I'd suggest unplugging it and plugging it back in.
    If you are able to access the Internet, but installing using downloaded installers that need Internet access, your firewall may be blocking the installer. Are you seeing any error messages? Do you have any other active security software? Did you uninstall other security software that may still have bits left behind? Either case can cause conflicts and all sorts of odd behavior.
    If you are unable to identify any conflicting software and continue to have problems, I suggest contacting support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:27 PM
  • well as my name says it... im not an expert or anything about this... but i had a problem with my compter not being able to download anyfiles and if i tryed it on firefox it would download the file but wont beable to open or install it

so i was thinking about how much it was bugging me for a few months (really)

then i thought
    just reset everything on the computer by simply creating a new user account, and setting it as the administrater
    from there it was working perfictly

dont worry you computer should be smart enough to bring all your old programs along with the new administrater account, its just deleting the old slugish settings it used to have
    completely
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:47 AM