Why are folders syncing on my computer when I'm not signed in? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, just a quick observation.

I wasn't signed in to the live mesh software installed on my desktop computer, however, when I changed a file in a synced folder on my laptop, the file change was reflected on my desktop computer anyway.  I'm not sure why it synced, since the folder didn't show it was even connected to the mesh (it showed I was connected once I signed in).

It seems that if someone stole my laptop, for instance, even if that machine wasn't logged in to the Mesh, any files deleted would also be deleted on my other devices.

Thanks,

John
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Yes, if you have not signed in to Live Mesh (via your Windows Live ID), but have signed in to your Windows NT account (so that the Live Mesh client is running), the Live Mesh client will synchronize your files automatically for you.  This is so that you don't have to go around on each machine signing into Live Mesh to keep your files synchronized.

If someone stole your laptop, you would want to remove that device from your Mesh, so that changes on the laptop would not be reflected in your mesh.  One could also imagine some interesting Live Remote scenarios prior to removing the device..

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:12 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi John,

Yes, if you have not signed in to Live Mesh (via your Windows Live ID), but have signed in to your Windows NT account (so that the Live Mesh client is running), the Live Mesh client will synchronize your files automatically for you.  This is so that you don't have to go around on each machine signing into Live Mesh to keep your files synchronized.

If someone stole your laptop, you would want to remove that device from your Mesh, so that changes on the laptop would not be reflected in your mesh.  One could also imagine some interesting Live Remote scenarios prior to removing the device..

Thanks,
    Richard
    Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Actually if you think about it. Some sort of "Live Lock" would be awesome. If the client becomes active before a user signs in then suppose my laptop get's stolen.
    Ik could log on to my Live Desktop, mark the device as stolen and force a 'format c:' command on the stolen device.

That would actually be a very cool feature. Ofcourse it would only work if the machine is hooked up to the internet after being stolen, even so, in a lot of cases it probably will be.

- Mark
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Please feel free to add this suggestion to our Wish List sticky thread.  We're using that thread to keep track of all the great suggestions we're receiving on the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:17 PM