Generational backup of server shares RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps I have missed something. The WHS does nightly backups of connected PCs and I can dictate the number of daily, weekly, etc. backups to maintain. I can then go back and restore a particular PC's file from an earlier version.

We maintain a lot of files in shares on the server. Those files never exist on a connected PC. So how do I create generational backups of that data (that resides on the server) so that I can restore a file from Wednesday of last week (as an example)?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:52 AM

Answers

• Not at all. Every backup after the first is incremental. It's just that backups can only be initiated manually.

And yes, Windows Home Server 2011 allows for scheduled backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tukatz Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:17 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:03 PM

All replies

• You use the server backup feature, but you need to connect a drive for that purpose. When you connect a drive to your server, you're given the choice of using it in server storage, or as a server backup drive.

Once the drive is connected, you can back up some or all shares to it. Unfortunately, in V1 you can only initiate a backup manually.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:49 AM
  • So I can create a backup, but any time I initiate another backup manually it will overwrite previous generations of a given file that has since changed, correct?

Sounds like generational backups are not possible. You mentioned V1. Is there a later version of the software that does support automatic generational backups?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Not at all. Every backup after the first is incremental. It's just that backups can only be initiated manually.

• Marked as answer by Tukatz Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:17 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:03 PM

Thanks, Ken.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:17 PM
  • Ken - I've just been experimenting with server backup and can see that it is incremental. Unfortunately, it appears that when you restore you can't drill down to an individual file as you can with a PC backup on the server. Looks like you restore entire folders. However, I was able to access the server with a remote desktop connection, run Windows Explorer, locate an earlier version of a file and copy it to an area where I could open it with one of the networked PCs. It's a little convoluted, but I can accomplish what I wanted. Thanks again for your help.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:33 AM