Migrating from an illegal copy of WHS to a legit version RRS feed

• Question

• To make a long story short, I have been charged with making a server legal.  My friend is past his activation perioid, and wants to just buy a copy of WHS and use that key on his existing install.  He doesn't have the media he installed from anymore, but he said he did NOT use the 120 day trial. I have no idea what he used to bypass previous checks, since the server doesn't allow a user to login to the desktop, even from safe mode.

If I grab a copy of WHS from Newegg, can we just plug that key into his existing server, or will the process require a server re-installation?  He doesn't have a LOT of data on his shares, but enough so that it would take awhile. 

And please, I don't want to start a bunch of debate about piracy/antipiracy.  No one wants to read that tired old argument again.  :)

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• So you don't think inputting a valid key would activate the server at this point?  I was hoping to get this thing done without a whole lot of futzing around with it. (also, the last time I did a server reinstallation it wiped all 3tb of my data! I managed to recover it, but that was a rough week)

Unlikely, however since you don't know his original source can't really rule this out (If you can find a way to enter the key). Anyway server reinstall is is IMO the best most secure way to proceed.
    • Marked as answer by ECEC Monday, April 26, 2010 3:35 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:09 PM

All replies

• Server reinstall should do the trick and should normally preserver data in shares and client backups. I guess you know you will need to redo all post-install modifications after reinstall (create users, connect clients and so on) please make sure the server is up-to-date when you start connecting clients.

Fingers crossed no malware was included with his "original" install

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Yeah, I'm hoping the same on the malware side as well.  I'll know more once I can get into the desktop. 

So you don't think inputting a valid key would activate the server at this point?  I was hoping to get this thing done without a whole lot of futzing around with it. (also, the last time I did a server reinstallation it wiped all 3tb of my data! I managed to recover it, but that was a rough week)

Monday, April 26, 2010 2:58 PM
  • So you don't think inputting a valid key would activate the server at this point?  I was hoping to get this thing done without a whole lot of futzing around with it. (also, the last time I did a server reinstallation it wiped all 3tb of my data! I managed to recover it, but that was a rough week)

Unlikely, however since you don't know his original source can't really rule this out (If you can find a way to enter the key). Anyway server reinstall is is IMO the best most secure way to proceed.
    • Marked as answer by ECEC Monday, April 26, 2010 3:35 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Thanks for the help!
    Monday, April 26, 2010 3:35 PM