Settings window is missing icons/tabs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have just set up my Home Server, and I configured to PC's to connect to it (using the WHS Connector Software).
    I've created two accounts, but now I wanted to install an add-in. So I tried installing one, but every single
    installation instruction tells me to click on the "Add-ins" tab/icon in my settings window.
    Only problem is... there's no such thing in my settings window!
    It doesn't matter if I open the settings window on my own PC (through the Connector), or while logged on directly to the server (as Administrator).
    The only tabs/icons I see are these:

- General
    - Backup
    - Passwords
    - Media Sharing
    - Remote Access

Has anyone got any idea on why my Add-ins (or my Resources) tab is missing? I can't install any add-ins this way!

Very many thanks in advance,

Oostingh.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• I installed WHS on a computer I don't use anymore. It's an Acer Aspire, AMD Sempron 3000+ (2.0GHz), 320GB WD IDE HDD, 1GB DDR RAM, Sapphire Radeon 9250.
    Before I tried installing any addins, I installed the ATI Graphics driver, so I had some decent video output while being logged on to the server directly (I plugged in a monitor, mouse and keyboard to log on to it directly via the Adminstrator account). I also installed GrabIt, to download stuff from usenet. Shortly after that I uninstalled GrabIt, and replaced it with SABNzbD. I did this, because I wanted to be able to also download binary files from usenet during the night. My PC in my room has big blue backlights, and a lot of fans, so it's very noisy and annoying during the night.

I tried to download something with SABNzbD on my HS, but it only downloads if I'm logged on to the server directly. This is because the process SABNZBD.exe only runs while logged on. I suppose I could also make it run using the Advanced Admin Console Add-In, but that still requires me being logged on through the WHS Console. I'm looking for something that can run on the server without me being logged on (directly, remotely, or via the WHS Console).

But do you think at least the settings screen problem would be solved with a clean install? P.S.: I know you're thinking: Use the uTorrent add-in, but that's for torrents, not for usenet.
    I think the problem you're having with the console should be resolved by a fresh installation. It should also be resolved by a server reinstallation, which will preserve the files in your shares, and your backup database (but not any additional software you may have installed).

I doubt that the programs you've installed are causing the problem you're having, however, you should be aware that the use of Windows Home Server to run desktop software is unsupported, and is a potential source of various problems. So you do this, at least to an extent, at your own risk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:07 PM

All replies

• If you install the Home Server Toolkit Add-In you can check the logs, oh wait, you can't install add-ins :)

I think you can run the Add-Ins MSI files via remote desktop on the server to install them, you don't need to install via the connector. Download and install the Toolkit and see if the logs give you any pointers.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Hi all,

I have just set up my Home Server, and I configured to PC's to connect to it (using the WHS Connector Software).
    I've created two accounts, but now I wanted to install an add-in. So I tried installing one, but every single
    installation instruction tells me to click on the "Add-ins" tab/icon in my settings window.
    Only problem is... there's no such thing in my settings window!
    It doesn't matter if I open the settings window on my own PC (through the Connector), or while logged on directly to the server (as Administrator).
    The only tabs/icons I see are these:

- General
    - Backup
    - Passwords
    - Media Sharing
    - Remote Access

Has anyone got any idea on why my Add-ins (or my Resources) tab is missing? I can't install any add-ins this way!

Very many thanks in advance,

Oostingh.
    Did you install any apps from the desktop before trying to install an add-in?  Is this a server you built yourself or a pre-built machine (i.e. HP MSS)?  My suggestion would be a Server Reinstallation (or, if you built it yourself and have no data on it yet, another New Installation).

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I installed WHS on a computer I don't use anymore. It's an Acer Aspire, AMD Sempron 3000+ (2.0GHz), 320GB WD IDE HDD, 1GB DDR RAM, Sapphire Radeon 9250.
    Before I tried installing any addins, I installed the ATI Graphics driver, so I had some decent video output while being logged on to the server directly (I plugged in a monitor, mouse and keyboard to log on to it directly via the Adminstrator account). I also installed GrabIt, to download stuff from usenet. Shortly after that I uninstalled GrabIt, and replaced it with SABNzbD. I did this, because I wanted to be able to also download binary files from usenet during the night. My PC in my room has big blue backlights, and a lot of fans, so it's very noisy and annoying during the night.

I tried to download something with SABNzbD on my HS, but it only downloads if I'm logged on to the server directly. This is because the process SABNZBD.exe only runs while logged on. I suppose I could also make it run using the Advanced Admin Console Add-In, but that still requires me being logged on through the WHS Console. I'm looking for something that can run on the server without me being logged on (directly, remotely, or via the WHS Console).

But do you think at least the settings screen problem would be solved with a clean install? P.S.: I know you're thinking: Use the uTorrent add-in, but that's for torrents, not for usenet.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:00 PM

I think the problem you're having with the console should be resolved by a fresh installation. It should also be resolved by a server reinstallation, which will preserve the files in your shares, and your backup database (but not any additional software you may have installed).

I doubt that the programs you've installed are causing the problem you're having, however, you should be aware that the use of Windows Home Server to run desktop software is unsupported, and is a potential source of various problems. So you do this, at least to an extent, at your own risk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:07 PM