Remove pc but keep backups RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to be able to remove a computer that no longer exists from the backup schedule, but keep the backups so if I ever need to find something on the old pc I can.

I saw in the forums that it's possible to remove an old pc by hacking the reg, but it seems to remove it completely, where I only want to no longer back it up (and get not get nagged about it).

Monday, April 9, 2007 8:01 PM

Answers

• If you want to remove a PC but keep a backup "just in case" I would recommend using NTBackup on the client PC to back the whole computer up. Save the resulting backup set on WHS for safety if you want. If you remove it from WHS, you'll lose the backups of it that are stored by WHS as well.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 8:09 PM

All replies

• If you want to remove a PC but keep a backup "just in case" I would recommend using NTBackup on the client PC to back the whole computer up. Save the resulting backup set on WHS for safety if you want. If you remove it from WHS, you'll lose the backups of it that are stored by WHS as well.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Andy, I think that's a excellent suggestion, after all what is WHS being designed for, my impression was to centrally manage the growing number of computers in a household (being an IT Professional I have a LOT of them) going around to each computer an asking a non tech to configure ntbackup and create a task to schedule it is a bit much, might as well start decentralizing other WHS features and leave those to the users on the PC - however I would ask that time (or Day) limits be a configurable option to orphaned backups with either notification thru the admin page or email so you can remove that back up to disk or delete after a couple years of gone by
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:29 AM
  • I don't see this as a practical solution for most users.  Sure I can do it that way, but if I want to manage backups manually I wouldn't be using WHS.  My main objective for keeping the backup around is to get files out of it if I missed something before I blew the machine away.  The backup is already there, I just want to use it as insurance in a supported way.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:48 PM
  • I understand what you're asking. All I'm saying is that it's not supported at this time (and almost certainly won't be in version 1), and there's a workaround available. If you feel strongly about it, I would go to Connect and see if there's already feedback on this issue. If there is, vote and add your own comments. If there isn't, submit some. That's how the WHS team will know what the community feels is important. In either case, post a link to the feedback back here so others can also vote.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  andy vt wrote:

I'd like to be able to remove a computer that no longer exists from the backup schedule, but keep the backups so if I ever need to find something on the old pc I can.

I saw in the forums that it's possible to remove an old pc by hacking the reg, but it seems to remove it completely, where I only want to no longer back it up (and get not get nagged about it).

This is very easily done even if the PC has already been removed from the network. logon to the home server console. from the Computers and Backup tab, right click on on the PC name in the list and choose "Turn off Backups" the name will be greyed out and the backup column will now say "off"

Now, to protect the backup "Right click the PC name again and choose "View Backups" make sure all of the backup's listed are marked with the padlock icon so they are not removed accidentley during a cleanup cycle. you will not have to remove the PC and you will not get any annoying Pop ups...

Hope that is helpfull

Rex

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Andy, On a side note there is a very good reason to do this, Let's say next week your done playing with Linux Wink and want your win pc back. just connect it to the network and use the restore disk and your back in bussiness, you wouldnt have to reinstall windows, dont have to reactivate it. and you retain the ability to use a pc for other testing anytime you'd like

Rex

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:53 PM
  • I don't have an option to turn off backups.  When I click on it, I have an option to turn on backups but when I click it I get an error message telling me that it cannot connect to the pc.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:30 PM
  • you should get this, (capture link below) dont click on the name, Right click on the name and you should get a menu with 4 options (I'm trying to add a screen shot here) let me now because I have double checked this by unplugging several clients and stopping there backup after they were already removed.

http://www.ecvinfo.com/trnoffbkup.JPG

But I dont know how this editor works although I have seen others post screen captures here where the captures showed up inline within the message body.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:04 AM
  • I see "Turn on backup" where it has "Turn off..." on yours, must be a beta thing...
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Ok, look at the far right column does it say "Off" and is the icon greyed out for that PC? If so it might have toggled itself off when you clicked on it and WHS sayed it could not connect to the client. In that case just go to step 2 and lock the current backup files so they are not deleted.

I powered down 4 of my clients and tested that method to turn off the backups and it worked. I have had the backup turned off on one for 2 days and have not yet recieved any popup telling it has not been backed up yet

Rex

Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I have the same issue Andy.

I upgraded one of the client PCs from XP MCE to Vista Home Premium, and gave it the same name, same everything, but when I installed WHS Client, it now shows two entries with the same name (one MCE and one Vista). It still has the backups for the MCE PC, but I cannot turn off the backups, as when I right click and select turn off backups it says it cannot connect to the PC. It shows not backed up in the backup column, but my status is gree(healthy) so I am not worried, but I do wish to remove the old entry (would prefer if it had realised it was the same PC just upgraded), but I would like to keep the backups also.

Monday, April 16, 2007 10:17 PM
  •  Ashley Metcalfe wrote:

I have the same issue Andy.

I upgraded one of the client PCs from XP MCE to Vista Home Premium, and gave it the same name, same everything, but when I installed WHS Client, it now shows two entries with the same name (one MCE and one Vista). It still has the backups for the MCE PC, but I cannot turn off the backups, as when I right click and select turn off backups it says it cannot connect to the PC. It shows not backed up in the backup column, but my status is gree(healthy) so I am not worried, but I do wish to remove the old entry (would prefer if it had realised it was the same PC just upgraded), but I would like to keep the backups also.

Well, I'm going to bug this as I'm sitting here pulling my hair out because I can shutdown a PC and unplug it from the network and I have no problem turning a backup "Off" after the fact

Ashley, Your situation has a different solution than Andy's. Doug Knox has a solution to the extra PC being displayed but before you use it, Just ask yourself a couple of questions. When you say you upgraded to vista was it an upgrade or did you do a clean install? If it was an upgrade XP 32bit to Vista 32 you will probably find all your files intact and you may be able to just ignore the old XP backups "For the moment". Let WHS complete a backup set of the Vista install and you should have all the files that were in the MCE2005 in the new Vista backup.

Now, do you find all the files from the XP MCE in your new Vista install and backup? If you do then you can safely Delete the old PC entry with Doug Knox's remove PC app. ( you can find here on the message board with a search)

Now if you did a clean install and you dont have the files you want, you can still retrieve them from the old Xp MCE backups and put those files or Directory's back onto the drive with the new Vista Install (or anywhere), And you can keep those backups as long as you'd like but dont try to delete them until you sure all you want has been backed up on the new Vista Install. When your sure you have all the files you still want, and they have gone through at least 1 backup cycle you can delete the old XP MCE entry and you will be done

Rex Geissinger

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:53 AM
  • What if one of my PCs fail beyond repair? I'd still like to keep the backups for the files thay contain but since the PC is no longer connected I can't turn backups off.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:09 AM
  •  Bezalel Geretz wrote:
    What if one of my PCs fail beyond repair? I'd still like to keep the backups for the files thay contain but since the PC is no longer connected I can't turn backups off.

You can save and access backups from PC's that no longer exist but to save them permanently you should change. backup status from "manage automatically" to "Keep this Backup" you would right click on the  computer in question, choose view backups, and for each backup set the you want to keep use the check box to set the status.

What we really need here is some kind of "archive function" some way to archive a backup collection outside of the server that could be portable or stored on CD/DVD and reopened at a later date. I'm going to make a suggestion on Connect and post a link here so anyone interested can vote on it

Rex Geissinger

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:27 PM
  •  andy vt wrote:
    I see "Turn on backup" where it has "Turn off..." on yours, must be a beta thing...

Andy I found out what happens in this case, I unplugged my PC's and turned the backup off right away, but if WHS backup starts and cannot find the PC it will skip it and go to the next. if it cannot back it up a second time it is turned off and an error shows up that "No back ups in 2 days" you will continue to see an error message from the tray icon.

You can still go to the backups for that PC and lock them so they are not deleted during cleanup and access them.

Rex Geissinger

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Do a search on Connect first, Rex. I've seen at least a couple of versions of that suggestion. If you find one you like, or create a new suggestion of your own, post the link back here.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:25 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Do a search on Connect first, Rex. I've seen at least a couple of versions of that suggestion. If you find one you like, or create a new suggestion of your own, post the link back here.

I did Ken, I just couldnt find one quite like I was thinking so I opened up this one.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=271480

Rex  Geissinger

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:48 PM