45131 validation message RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Just because you at Microsoft spend most of your waking hours on that campus doesn't mean we want to do the same.  WE HAVE LIVES! 

I for one am sick and tired of having to pick up the phone and give long series of numbers to a computer and sometimes repeating it again to a person just because we are all suspected copyright infringers.   Maybe you aren't taking your lithium as prescribed.  SO WHAT if I have re-installed MY OS on MY system 1000 times or simply made a few hardware modifications.  PC's are modular in design, and as such, are prime candidates for upgrade.  Perhaps you should own the word "upgrade".  I am certain there is a court somewhere in a litigious corner of the globe that would be happy to accomidate your quest for empire. 

We all make mistakes and choosing to become a "gearhead" was mine.  The reality is that Microsoft is forever indebted to us "gearheads" because without our obsessive-compulsive need to repair, modify, maintain, overclock every pc in our paths, there would'nt be any operational pc's for Windows to be installed on.  And most of the software developers I have supported didn't know a heat-sink from a pixel.

A foot note...in case you haven't noticed, Linux has crossed the threshold and  now installs easier and with less user input than windows. Just thought you might like to know that.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Mike,

First and foremost please do not use the WGA Forum as a venue for venting. Many people come here for assistance OH and there are also volunteers such as myself who take time and offer assistance.  If you have an actual problem by all means follow the forum protocol and please post your MGA results so someone may provide you with assistance. Please take the time and read the EULA of the various versions of Windows which you choose to purchase and install on the computer which you purchased. 

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:12 AM
  •  theantimike wrote:

Just because you at Microsoft spend most of your waking hours on that campus doesn't mean we want to do the same.  WE HAVE LIVES! 

I for one am sick and tired of having to pick up the phone and give long series of numbers to a computer and sometimes repeating it again to a person just because we are all suspected copyright infringers.   Maybe you aren't taking your lithium as prescribed.  SO WHAT if I have re-installed MY OS on MY system 1000 times or simply made a few hardware modifications.  PC's are modular in design, and as such, are prime candidates for upgrade.  Perhaps you should own the word "upgrade".

+1

I'm there now (again)... And I'll be buggered if I'm going to waste more of my life on the phone to Microsoft, getting the 3rd degree from some call-centre muppet. As above, it's MY software that I bought for MY pc. The problem of piracy is YOURS & has nothing to do with me, so quit bugging the people like myself who were foolish enough to buy it.

This is a valid-issue, but you'd prefer we tipped-toed around with our frustration - Leaving you to ignore it & not consider it a problem.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:59 AM
  •  theantimike wrote:

I for one am sick and tired of having to pick up the phone and give long series of numbers to a computer and sometimes repeating it again to a person just because we are all suspected copyright infringers.   Maybe you aren't taking your lithium as prescribed.  SO WHAT if I have re-installed MY OS on MY system 1000 times or simply made a few hardware modifications.  PC's are modular in design, and as such, are prime candidates for upgrade.  Perhaps you should own the word "upgrade".  I am certain there is a court somewhere in a litigious corner of the globe that would be happy to accomidate your quest for empire. 

We all make mistakes and choosing to become a "gearhead" was mine.  The reality is that Microsoft is forever indebted to us "gearheads" because without our obsessive-compulsive need to repair, modify, maintain, overclock every pc in our paths, there would'nt be any operational pc's for Windows to be installed on.  And most of the software developers I have supported didn't know a heat-sink from a pixel.

A foot note...in case you haven't noticed, Linux has crossed the threshold and  now installs easier and with less user input than windows. Just thought you might like to know that.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:04 AM
  • Hi!

Here is a similar posting located @  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3271963&SiteID=25

Please do not use this forum as a venue to vent. The problem you are having is with activation which falls outside the scope for this forum. We (including myself) as volunteers are here to help everyone resolve issues and ask that if you have valid problems then post but please do not use this forum for venting. Also Piracy is a problem that affects every consumer around the world. One day this may affect you. Please read information located @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ and maybe you will have a different understanding. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm

WGA  Forum Volunteer

45131 Error message resolution:

We have identified the problem as it being a suspension of online activation due to the maximum number of times a machine with Windows XP can be activated (via Internet). This can also occur after a reinstallation of Windows XP,(provided that your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA)). The next course of action is to contact Microsoft offline/telephone to activate the genuine Windows XP product

Please follow the steps for activation offline via telephone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1) Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.  (If for some reason the menu entry is missing:  Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe.exe /a and click OK.) 

2) Choose Activate Windows by Telephone and follow the prompts.  If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option. 

3) The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If so, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Lori MS

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:15 PM