How to restore the previous version of a file located in a shared folder on the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to restore a file - located in the shared folders of the server - in its yersterday's version .
    If I access the server using RDP , under files/properties I DONT get a "previous version" tab . Why is it so ? can it be corrected ?

Thanks in advance

FG

Monday, January 25, 2010 12:26 PM

Answers

• See this thread, but be aware that it's unsupported, and not a very convenient workaround.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:58 PM
  • I would like to restore a file - located in the shared folders of the server - in its yersterday's version .
    If I access the server using RDP , under files/properties I DONT get a "previous version" tab . Why is it so ? can it be corrected ?

Thanks in advance

FG  
    You won't see Previous Versions when you logon to the server desktop if you are checking the local drive path (D:\shares).  You will only see the Previous Versions tab when accessing the server through the network (assuming it's even enabled, as per the thread Ken linked to).
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:37 AM

All replies

• I think you'll find that WHS and Windows Server 2003 do not have System Restore available as standard.

There are instructions here about installing it on Windows Server 2003, but TBH I wouldn't trust it on a WHS install.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:46 PM
  • Thanks ; a bit scary .... I'm not sure I'll dare as things would be really bad if my WHS got screwed .....
    FG
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:01 PM
  • See this thread, but be aware that it's unsupported, and not a very convenient workaround.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 3:58 PM

Thanks in advance

FG  
    You won't see Previous Versions when you logon to the server desktop if you are checking the local drive path (D:\shares).  You will only see the Previous Versions tab when accessing the server through the network (assuming it's even enabled, as per the thread Ken linked to).
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:37 AM