Is there any free exam voucher promotion going on right now? RRS feed

• Question

• I just try to redeem free exam vouchers today but they cannot be used for exams after 6/30/2009 even though the instruction for them is "should be REDEEMED before 06/30/2009".  Needless to say, I have tried to schedule to take the exams within next 2 days but there is nothing available within reasonable distance (60 miles).  :-(

Monday, June 29, 2009 12:46 AM

Answers

• The only promotion which I know available is following:

Microsoft just (re)launched a program that enables your MCT to offer you exam discount vouchers. Discounts may vary by country and are usually 10 or 20% off of the regular exam price in your country.

Detail: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/2009/06/exams-why-pay-retail

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, June 29, 2009 2:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:01 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hi PCSQL66

The exam vouchers need to be redeemed and the exam taken by the 30th. I tried to get it extended two weeks ago due to prometrics website not working properly and not being able to book it but they refused.

Brian

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Monday, June 29, 2009 9:57 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• The only promotion which I know available is following:

Microsoft just (re)launched a program that enables your MCT to offer you exam discount vouchers. Discounts may vary by country and are usually 10 or 20% off of the regular exam price in your country.

Detail: http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/2009/06/exams-why-pay-retail

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Monday, June 29, 2009 2:32 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:32 AM
  • hi PCSQL66 ,

Second Shot Offer:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/offers/secondshot.aspx#tab2
    Thank You
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Hi PCSQL66

The exam vouchers need to be redeemed and the exam taken by the 30th. I tried to get it extended two weeks ago due to prometrics website not working properly and not being able to book it but they refused.

Brian

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 4, MCITP x 2

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please listen to my radio show, by subscribing to the Trancendance Podcast

• Proposed as answer by Brian_Jones Monday, June 29, 2009 9:57 AM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your case.  It is just so accidental that most if not all of MS tests are available starting from 07/01/2009 one day after all the vouchers cannot be redeemed.   I wonder how prometric or other testing providers decide # of tests per day and whether they really allow the maximum capacity.  I would have scheduled my exams earlier if the voucher's instruction is to take the exam by 06/30/2009 instead of trying to redeem them by 06/30/2009.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Be aware that any free or prepaid exam vouchers are NOT eligible for the Second Shot offer. You must purchase your test voucher on the Prometric site to be eligible for a Second Shot.

Yeah, big surprise for me. Microsoft apparently changed the policy two years ago, but it was never clear that things had changed. I've taken several tests since then, all with "free" vouchers, but I'd passed them all. I'd used prepaid or free test vouchers with the Second Shot offer in the past (when it was through Pearson-VUE) with no problem when I needed a Second Shot.

I took an exam last week, failed by one question, and planned to use my Second Shot registration to retake the test before the end of June. Calls to Prometric and Microsoft were VERY PAINFUL because the non-native-English support folks couldn't clearly explain to me why I couldn't take a Second Shot. After an hour on the phone with three different people at Prometric and Microsoft, I finally understood that you cannot use a Voucher obtained anywhere but directly at Prometric. If you didn't pay the full $125, you won't get a Second Shot.

My experience with Prometric and Microsoft customer service in this case was very unsatisfactory.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:24 AM
  • I have exaclty this same problem.  This is ridiculous!  Why should I be penalized for purchasing an expensive training program including exam vouchers.  According to Prometric, I can only use my "free" retake voucher if I pay for the exam a second time on my credit card!  What's free?

I would like a proper response from Microsoft.  You are in direct violation of your own retake policy, quoted below:

1. General Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) Exam Retake Policy

1. If a candidate does not pass an exam the first time, he/she may retake it after at least 24 hours have passed.

2. If a candidate does not achieve a passing score the second time, the candidate must wait at least 14 days to retake the exam a third time.

3. A 14-day waiting period will be imposed for all subsequent exam retakes.

4. A candidate may not take a given exam any more than five times per calendar year. In order to take a given exam more than five times per year, a candidate must obtain prior permission from Microsoft.

5. If a candidate has passed an exam, he/she cannot take it again.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:49 PM
  • If anyone is interested, there are free vouchers until 31/5/2012 regarding 070-659 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
    Friday, May 25, 2012 8:50 AM
  • If anyone is interested, there are free vouchers until 31/5/2012 regarding 070-659 TS: Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization

Some clarification is required here.  The free voucher is not for exam 70-659, it's a free voucher for Windows Server 2012 (Private Cloud).  Please refer to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/af47ead1-1525-4f64-9916-142e6990c350

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, May 25, 2012 1:53 PM