I Figured out more information on how MSN is searching my site... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Well I have been having issues now for about a month or so ( www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com )...before that my site was only searchable (very well I might add) for about 1 month and before that it was never searchable really...off and on once in a while.

Anyway, after the indexes were dropped by MSN, added by MSN again, up and down, etc, etc I still can barely be searched...of course Google and Yahoo are fine and MSN USED to be fine, but now they are not.

Here is what I found....if I copy my entire title, part of my title, part of the body that is indexed out of my webpage...all of that is a waste of time because MSN won't find it even though it is more unique than any other webpage out there. 

The only thing that will work for MSN to find my page is to search part of my FILENAME....for example my filename might be http://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com/CHROME-LIKE-METAL-POLISHING-CUSTOMER-PARTS-INTAKE-MANIFOLDS-1.HTML  but all I have to do is search for "parts-intake-manifolds" WITH the dashes otherwise it won't work, and I am number one or so in an MSN search.  If I search for anything else unique on my site and I don't care what it is MSN won't find it at all in the search.

Anyone know why MSN would only find my filename in a search and not use any of my body, title, keywords, etc, etc in my webpage?  Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Had a quick look, listing you my findings:

- I can see only 10 of your web pages indexed by Live as at 18th August 2008, from my IP location;
    - searching for one of your urls: "pricing toyota supra 1" (exact match), I get your url since it's the only one out there;
    - searching for one of your titles: "how to do chrome - like aluminum", i do get your webpage (Live is seeing your titles);
    - searching for: pricing toyota supra 1 (broad match), I can't find your urls;
    - looking at your backlinks I see thousands, but originating from around a dozen domains only (mostly forums);
    - your website is not w3c validated;

In my opinion, you should start by validating your code, fixing a sitemap & your robots.txt and work on creating buzz to generate natural inbound links. It seems you don't have enough rank in the eyes of Live Search to rank well for competitive broad matches.

Btw, I'm not a guy from Microsoft and above are just my suggestions Stick out tongue
    Monday, August 18, 2008 9:28 PM
  •  FusionBob wrote:
    Had a quick look, listing you my findings:

- I can see only 10 of your web pages indexed by Live as at 18th August 2008, from my IP location;
    - searching for one of your urls: "pricing toyota supra 1" (exact match), I get your url since it's the only one out there;
    - searching for one of your titles: "how to do chrome - like aluminum", i do get your webpage (Live is seeing your titles);
    - searching for: pricing toyota supra 1 (broad match), I can't find your urls;
    - looking at your backlinks I see thousands, but originating from around a dozen domains only (mostly forums);
    - your website is not w3c validated;

In my opinion, you should start by validating your code, fixing a sitemap & your robots.txt and work on creating buzz to generate natural inbound links. It seems you don't have enough rank in the eyes of Live Search to rank well for competitive broad matches.

Btw, I'm not a guy from Microsoft and above are just my suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions...very much appreciated.  I just looked at my webmasters tool and it shows 13 pages indexed still.  That is just another MSN issue...why would my webmasters show 13 and then when you search it only show 10 actual pages?  I just tried searching using site:www.mirrofinishpolsihing.com and it came up with only 10 like you said.  Great...another problem.

As far as putting the "" around the titles...I didn't try that.  If my pages shows exactly what I type in I wouldn't think MSN would show me a page that shows nothing at all in order of what I typed in and my page is not even ranked at all for all those terms I typed in...I didn't use the "" though and didn't think I would of had to.  Oh well.

Did you try searching for " www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com " ?  Why in the world would MSN not come up with my site if my site is indexed?  This absolutely doesn't make any sense to me...do you have any idea why MSN wouldn't be able to find the direct URL to my site by searching for it and MSN only comes with garbage that is not as relevant as my website when I am searching for my website?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:51 PM
  •  

Nice job. Can you tell us newbies what is W3c validated? Thank you.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Quote from w3.org:

"W3C primarily pursues its mission through the creation of Web standards and guidelines. Since 1994, W3C has published more than 110 such standards, called W3C Recommendations"

Having your code validated as per W3C standards minimizes the amount of errors that web surfers (and most probably even bots) will encounter when accessing the website. They even offer a free online tool at validator.w3.org, check it out.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:51 PM
  • I tend to believe (might be wrong), that data in Live Webmaster tool and the actual Live Search results are not synchronized in real time. There is some delay in reporting between the two, but they will eventually match up at some point.

Also, it's much harder to rank well for broad match keywords, i.e. without "". If you find your website with exact phrases only, i.e. using "keyword" it means your site is indexed, but does not have enough rank to perform good.

The thing that is bit strange (always in my opinion), is why your website is not listed in search results when you search for your exact domain name. Maybe someone from Microsoft can shed some light on this.

Anyway, good luck with your website.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  FusionBob wrote:
    I tend to believe (might be wrong), that data in Live Webmaster tool and the actual Live Search results are not synchronized in real time. There is some delay in reporting between the two, but they will eventually match up at some point.

Also, it's much harder to rank well for broad match keywords, i.e. without "". If you find your website with exact phrases only, i.e. using "keyword" it means your site is indexed, but does not have enough rank to perform good.

The thing that is bit strange (always in my opinion), is why your website is not listed in search results when you search for your exact domain name. Maybe someone from Microsoft can shed some light on this.

Anyway, good luck with your website.

Thanks again.  Ya when I searched for "metal polishing service" WITHOUT the quotes my site came up #1 on MSN, but that was about a month ago before all my indexes went down the drain with no changes made on my side either.  Google and Yahoo remain consistent when I search for "metal polishing service" WITHOUT the quotes...Google is like the 4th website and yahoo is like the 11th website still.

About a month ago MSN started to not work for searches and then started flushing all my indexes and now that the indexes are back I still can't search my site for something that used to come up in MSN as #1....its not even ranked now even though everything is re-indexed again.

Note...my domain name was always searchable too, but now its not???

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:08 AM
  • You are still in our index. For whatever reason, you are currently ranking very low. This might be redundant, but it wouldn't hurt to review our blog post:  http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  Brett Yount wrote:
    You are still in our index. For whatever reason, you are currently ranking very low. This might be redundant, but it wouldn't hurt to review our blog post:  http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx

Thanks Brett.  I have 2 concerns I guess that are relatively simple:

1.) This taken randomly straight from my website will not come up in an MSN search at all:  High quality Chrome-Like Mirror Finish Polishing and Buffing Services

I go over to google and put it in...thats right I am number one because that is unique to my site as it is taken straight from it word for word.

2.)  I search MSN for www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com and it will not pull up my domain even though I am in fact indexed on MSN, but it will pull up other websites that have my domain listed??

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  TT_6SPD_95 wrote:
     Brett Yount wrote:
    You are still in our index. For whatever reason, you are currently ranking very low. This might be redundant, but it wouldn't hurt to review our blog post:  http://blogs.msdn.com/webmaster/archive/2008/01/11/i-m-not-ranking-in-live-search-what-can-i-do.aspx

Thanks Brett.  I have 2 concerns I guess that are relatively simple:

1.) This taken randomly straight from my website will not come up in an MSN search at all:  High quality Chrome-Like Mirror Finish Polishing and Buffing Services

I go over to google and put it in...thats right I am number one because that is unique to my site as it is taken straight from it word for word.

2.)  I search MSN for www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com and it will not pull up my domain even though I am in fact indexed on MSN, but it will pull up other websites that have my domain listed??

Brett,

Do you have any idea yet why I can't search for www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com on MSN and come up with my site in the search engine anywhere?  I think this has something to do with why I now have troubles on MSN.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:17 PM