Publishing to Wordpress: 8 minute upload time UGH

• using most current version of WLW to current theme and WP; hit PUBLISH and process takes 8 minutes.  Seems to be saving something huge, not sure what.  process eats all computer resource, cooling fan revving like mad.  I have a large blog with over 3000 posts, and it seems like WLW is saving a fresh local copy of every single post each time it publishes.  This is really a major pain.  Any ideas?

a month or so ago, WLW "broke" and wasnt able to connect to saved tags, publish time back to normal (minute or so)  after a week of this bliss, WLW was again able to reconnect to saved tags and process dragged to glacial pace once again.  Is it the blog size?  if so, any way to bypass?  Have cleaned out drafts folder, no change. 

pulling out hair in portland.....
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:42 AM

All replies

• Could it be your host? Or are you using shared hosting?

But to your point- I know what your saying, thus I think there should be a status. Showing how much there is to be uploaded; maybe this would help us understand the delays.

Monday, October 19, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Don't think its the host... I also connect to a less-tech-savvy friend's blog (thru the same interface) to do occasional formatting tweaks, and their publish time is normal.  However, their blog is minuscule compared to mine.  It's like the thing creates a whole new cache every time. 

3 minutes to compose + 8 minutes to upload = workflow hemorrhoid.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:17 PM
  • monkeyfist278,
    I can't say that I've that big of an issue, but I did notice that my upload were kinda slow with GoDaddy, so I did some checking and found my images were 2x as big as they needed to be as a PNG vs JPG.

Here's what I did:

Windows Live Writer crew says they're going to address it.
    I use the plug-in to paste as a JPG and seems are snappier on my website since the change was made.

I'm a troubleshooter, but I need tools or information to help me identify where the problems lie.

Hope this helps.

L. Henry Jr.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:33 PM
  • I think I figured it out, it's the TAGS.  I went thru and deleted repeats and typos, combined similar ones, and removed anything that didn't have more than 10 instances, and voila!  upload time cut by half.

I've been told by just as many geeks that tags are important as I have been told they are insignificant.  I'm not sure what the deal is, but apparently WLW HATES TAGS.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:53 AM
  • PS: love the dog at the mailbox
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:02 AM