none
The Error500 and HTTP Internal Server Error is back again!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Since the forum updates yesterday, these Error500 pages are back again?

Click a link to a thread or forum and the "Sorry, We were unable to service your request. Please try again later" OR "HTTP Internal Server Error" page appears with no way to return to the original page where the link appeared, unless you opened the link in a New Tab.

Clicking the same link again and it usually works properly? This happens with IE7, IE8, and Firefox 3.x.

This sure makes it difficult to get anything done!

Thanks,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator

Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• Regarding how to get points, that is in the FAQ:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#312 
    Community Forums Program Managers
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:04 AM
    Answerer
  • The server hardware is aging and is showing signs of expiring.  This has been an increasing problem for the past few months, getting close to daily lately.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has no way to detect or diagnose this, they need their customers to tell them which server is trashing.  To do this, you need to take a look at the HTTP response header for the 500 response.  You'll need a tool to do this.  The best one is the Firebug plugin for Firefox, if you use IE you'll need something like Fiddler.  The relevant header in the response will look something like this:

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0, CO1VB03

The "CO1VB03" part is the server name, that's what they need to take it out of rotation.  Note that by the time you get tired of this, there are usually two or three servers that have given the ghost.

The next effort is letting the right people at Microsoft know.  The best way is to use the forum issues email alias.  Your message will be forwarded to several employees, although it is only Alicia that ever responds.  If you don't know the alias, post a message in the moderator forums and I'll let you know.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:31 AM
  • We saw Han's direct request and one of our OPS engineer has looked at the servers in rotation and removed those servers that had intermittent issues.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:14 PM
  • I've been getting consistent alerts as of today. Although, I'm worried some alerts are not getting sent to some users. We're probably going to have a minor release this week which includes extra logging to verify alert issues. I'll post back if we're confirmed to release some fixes this week.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:12 PM
  • No, its intermittent issue. not consistent. i got this problem  when i used the option "browse forum users" and sorted the users by there points and went to page 88 directly.
    MCP & MCTS [WSS 3.0/MOSS] Visit: http://yagyashree.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• In addition to the Error 500 frequency - usually solved by going back and clicking the same link again -, I'm irritated as often my Login seems to disappear, and I've to sign in again only to view a different thread.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:30 AM
  • The server hardware is aging and is showing signs of expiring.  This has been an increasing problem for the past few months, getting close to daily lately.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has no way to detect or diagnose this, they need their customers to tell them which server is trashing.  To do this, you need to take a look at the HTTP response header for the 500 response.  You'll need a tool to do this.  The best one is the Firebug plugin for Firefox, if you use IE you'll need something like Fiddler.  The relevant header in the response will look something like this:

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0, CO1VB03

The "CO1VB03" part is the server name, that's what they need to take it out of rotation.  Note that by the time you get tired of this, there are usually two or three servers that have given the ghost.

The next effort is letting the right people at Microsoft know.  The best way is to use the forum issues email alias.  Your message will be forwarded to several employees, although it is only Alicia that ever responds.  If you don't know the alias, post a message in the moderator forums and I'll let you know.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Well, I used Fiddler and got the response "CO1VB12" for the server. What else to do?
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:00 AM
  • Nobugz -

I'm seeing CO1VB13 and CO1VB11 in the headers...

I'll continue to monitor and post more if I see any more error 500's...

Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I've sent an alert.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Hans -

Any idea on why there aren't any alerts going out? I also mentioned that issue here...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:29 AM
  • There is no problem with the alert service that I'm aware of.  The problems listed above are the usual thrashing web server variety, this cluster of servers failed before.  That doesn't affect alerts.  The usual approach is to make sure neither your ISP nor your machine is blocking them.  Or change your alert email delivery address.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:14 PM
  • I've sent an alert.

Hans Passant.
    Hi Hans

Well, it must have worked, I haven't seen an error all day. :)

Thanks

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:52 AM
  • We saw Han's direct request and one of our OPS engineer has looked at the servers in rotation and removed those servers that had intermittent issues.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Don -

Thanks.. Very cool.. I haven't seen an error 500 in a few days either. Whatever you guys pulled out of rotation worked. (Knock on wood!)

In the meantime, any idea why I'm still not getting any alerts? It started right about the same time roughly as the maintenance.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:01 PM
  • I've been getting consistent alerts as of today. Although, I'm worried some alerts are not getting sent to some users. We're probably going to have a minor release this week which includes extra logging to verify alert issues. I'll post back if we're confirmed to release some fixes this week.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:12 PM
    STO Forums Test Lead

Don -

Getting some error 500's this morning... Per Fiddler2 - the affected servers are:

CO1VB12, CO1VB16, CO1VB10 and CO1VB11...

Say... Weren't some of those taken out of service? Or did someone not get the memo and switched them back on?

P.S.  Still not seeing any alerts... :-(
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Aggregators and alert delivery appear down, several web servers are thrashing.  Alert sent to Microsoft.
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Anyways just wondering if they are using multiple servers for calculating "Post" and "points" as post are getting updates but "points" are not.

Monday, August 3, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Hi There-

A couple things that seemed to be occurring

--The servers with the 500 errors have been fixed so please let me know if you conitnue to see problems.

--Alerts, that was also just addressed as well and they should be working again

--Points not updating--the ops team is still investigating.

Will post more details as soon as I have them.

Thanks-

Alicia

Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Monday, August 3, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Hi techies, i just checked and i found precious points are showing up as well as my threads are updated. so go ahead and check it out.

Microsoft guys are done it again with timely support. thanks all.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi There-

A couple things that seemed to be occurring

--The servers with the 500 errors have been fixed so please let me know if you conitnue to see problems.

--Alerts, that was also just addressed as well and they should be working again

--Points not updating--the ops team is still investigating.

Will post more details as soon as I have them.

Thanks-

Alicia

Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Operations Team

Alicia -

1.) Haven't seen any error 500's since I reported the issue... Should be good for the moment.
    2.) Still not seeing any alerts. Seems they've been fixed for some, but not me..
    3.) I seem to be getting points as seen on my profile - is there a reference for how many you get and for what?

Thanks...
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Regarding how to get points, that is in the FAQ:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#312 
    Community Forums Program Managers
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:04 AM
    Answerer
  • Brent -

Thanks...! Always wondered about that...

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:22 AM
  • http://social.microsoft.com/Error/Error500.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Forums/en-US/browseusers

i am getting follow error page with the error message.

Microsoft

Sorry, We were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:25 PM
  • I can't repro the problem and I used IE 7, 8 and FF 3.5. Are you constantly getting this problem?
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:23 PM
  • No, its intermittent issue. not consistent. i got this problem  when i used the option "browse forum users" and sorted the users by there points and went to page 88 directly.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:29 PM