CRM 2011 Plug-in registration tool time out while updating dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm facing the following exception when trying to update the dll using plugin registration tool (UR12) for CRM 2011 on-premise.  Any suggestions to over come this issue.

Unhandled Exception: System.TimeoutException: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:01:59.7049705. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityChannelFactory`1.SecurityRequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.IOrganizationService.Update(Entity entity)
       at Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.Client.OrganizationServiceProxy.UpdateCore(Entity entity)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.PluginRegistration.RegistrationHelper.UpdateAssembly(CrmOrganization org, String pathToAssembly, CrmPluginAssembly assembly, PluginType[] type)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.PluginRegistration.PluginRegistrationForm.btnRegister_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    Inner Exception: System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request to 'http://<servername>/GREW2011/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:01:59.9970000. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ProcessGetResponseWebException(WebException webException, HttpWebRequest request, HttpAbortReason abortReason)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
    Inner Exception: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:06 AM

All replies

• Which version of plugin registration tool are you using? You mentioned UR12 so i assume it should be 5.0.9690.3448 if not pls download the latest SDK to try the latest version of plugin registration tool.

I have seen similar issue when IIS was restarted before registering the dll. But the plugin registration tool was already opened and connected to an organization. In that case re-connecting to the target Organization before registering the dll fixed the issue.

I hope it will help.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Which version of plugin registration tool are you using? You mentioned UR12 so i assume it should be 5.0.9690.3448 if not pls download the latest SDK to try the latest version of plugin registration tool.

I have seen similar issue when IIS was restarted before registering the dll. But the plugin registration tool was already opened and connected to an organization. In that case re-connecting to the target Organization before registering the dll fixed the issue.

I hope it will help.

• Proposed as answer by KashifZeeshan Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi KZee,

Thanks for your response. Yes I'm using the plug-in registration tool from latest SDK . Earlier I followed the same approach (doing IIS reset) to update the dll when I got this error . But now even that technique is not working out..

Any other suggetions will be helpful.

Monday, November 11, 2013 1:28 PM
  • Is the dll too huge? ... what's its size?
    Can you try registering it to some other test organization?

- Arvind (My posts represent my own views and not of Accenture's)

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:41 AM
  • Hi Arvind,

Thanks for your response. Size of the dll is 5MB and having same issue for other organizations as well.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:54 PM
  • onPremise should not have issues with 5MB plugin, are you on the server itself or connected to it with some slow network?

It seems there is a 2 minute limit before operation times out and it applys to plugin restration process too.

Check below link with similar issue:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8b408943-45cc-4104-b3f8-5f926312c7bc/crm-2011-plugin-registration-tool-timeout-error?forum=crmdevelopment

- Arvind (My posts represent my own views and not of Accenture's)

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:29 AM
  • These are the steps that I follow when deploying with a deployment project:

1. Stop the asynchronous services (start -> services.msc -> find the asynchronous services, "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Asynchnronous..." and stop them; there should be two)
    2. do an iisreset
    3. Make sure that you have write access to RegisterFile.crmregister in your deployment project (if you're using source control, you may need to check it out).
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:02 PM