none
BSOD after ? RRS feed

• Question

•   We have been using Money Sunset for several years now. Recently it crashed with the BSOD after my wife imported the files from our credit union. She has been doing this for a long time, download files, disconnect from online, then open money and import files. This has been going on for several days now. I can't open backups to install because of password can't be verified. I have reinstalled over and over, installed patch, ect. Now I find out about an update problem ... still running Windows7 sp1.  with AVG free antivirus. Every time I try repair it says files are intact. Last night I noticed all the backup files are now read only???? Need to get it fixed.....
    Friday, May 10, 2019 6:41 PM

All replies

• Copy your *.mbf  files and *.mny onto other media, such as a USB flash drive. This is important to have in case something happens to your hard drive.

After taking care of that, I would restore your newest *.mbf file. You can choose a new name to restore to, if you don't want to overwrite your existing file. If that doesn't work, try your second-newest backup.

Friday, May 10, 2019 6:53 PM
  •   Done and done. I've tried every back up till 07/18. All have the password prob. I have a multi boot system with Windows XP on another drive. I was able to open Money 2003 that is still installed on it and restored a backup from 2010. But that is like so much ancient history. Of course none of the newer sunset files will open, password. But other things have been shutting down, like windows explorer, while I was checking for backups. I did uninstall the update that caused the problems, but it has not fixed Money...... Puzzled???? 

Friday, May 10, 2019 9:03 PM
  • If more than Money are giving problems you should consider system problems.

Since you are running Windows 7 SP1 the underlying problem could be old, failing hardware corrupting files.

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:30 PM
  • The BSOD may have an error indication. https://neosmart.net/wiki/blue-screen-death-bsod-errors-windows-7/

If overclocking, don't.

You might try setting your motherboard memory settings to "safe defaults" or whatever your BIOS calls it.

You could try opening the case and using a fan to blow a lot of air at the motherboard.

Friday, May 10, 2019 10:42 PM
  •  Cal thanks for that link. No overclocking, I like stability. every thing in BIOS is default. I do have a P4 3.2 GHz, temps running 47.5C/117.5F which did not seem excessive? At first I thought the power supply might be going out, but voltages seemed good? I'm going to check some error numbers and see what that turns up. Might be time to move into the new decade of fast dual and quad core stuff.... I'm getting to old to set here all day and pull out my hair, not much left anyway!
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 1:35 PM
  • It could be the power supply. It could be a ram stick.

However it could be time for an upgrade. I will be dealing with that... studying how to deal with W10 to make it look and feel like XP. https://www.computerworld.com/article/3025709/how-to-protect-your-privacy-in-windows-10.html

Saturday, May 11, 2019 2:51 PM
  • I still can't pin anything down. I never quite took to W10, no reason, I just didn't. We do have a Lenovo Think Pad with W10 that I use sometimes with no problem. I can't get the back up Money files to open with it either.
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:16 PM
  • I still can't pin anything down. I never quite took to W10, no reason, I just didn't. We do have a Lenovo Think Pad with W10 that I use sometimes with no problem. I can't get the back up Money files to open with it either.

That is worrisome. How many backups? Money defaults to 4 for the upon-exit backups, and I think 4 for the scheduled backups. Surely the Thinkpad does not do a BSOD.  What symptoms does that get?

Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:22 PM
  • Have you checked your hard disks and/or SSDs with their manufacturers' diagnostic utilities?

If the backups are corrupted a Money Repair on the ThinkPad might recover them if they are not too badly damaged.

Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:42 PM
  •   This has me thinking way to hard. I decided to run chkdsk, memory diagnostic, ect. Chkdsk would not run. This morning I decided to run from the install disc w/command prompt. That solved one problem. First time it would not run because the disc was write protected? How does that happen? After a quick search I used chkdsk c: /f /r /x, this got it done pronto. No problems, just 2 reparse records processed. Now I'm wondering why the backup files were write protected? And what else is that way too, also. The updates I was concerned about contained security features to thwart ransomware. The first problems were with W7 systems that also had certain AV programs.

But at the same time we were having outages with our wireless internet provider. Now I'm wondering if a bad download caused something to shut things down. After the wife downloaded the CU file she got off line, copied it to Money then closed it down. She decided to wait till later to check things off, so next time she tried to open Money she got the first BSOD. This is when all the odd stuff started. I have never worried much about ransomware because we are very careful with what we open and where we go, or at least I am. But I just don't understand what would or could write protect all these files. Cal I'm glad you brought up the 4 scheduled backup, I was worried about where the other ones went. I've got the backups stored on a different drive from c: and they go back to 2015, there are 24 all together. There are some others on different drives but to old to really help. Dominic every time I have tried to repair I get a message that the file can't be opened or some such, but the details say the core files are intact? I'll have to try that again ..... to get the syntax right. I really appreciate all the replies and help. At least I'm thinking again. 

Sunday, May 12, 2019 2:38 PM
  •   OK every file I've tried to repair causes this dialog to come up. First a big red X that says Invalid Database. When I click on View log I get ;) No broken records in the original file. Very confusing to say the least. Some one tell me a simple fix I've overlooked.......
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 5:58 PM
  • I  just tried opening Money files, including my main file, with
    Windows booted into Safe Mode (without networking). It worked.

You might try booting into safe mode, and see what happens.

Sunday, May 12, 2019 8:46 PM
  •   No joy Cal. I can open the new install of Money sunset in safe Mode. But can't restore backups or repair.

Now when I open the new install a box comes up and says " Money can't locate C\users\__\Documents\MyMoney" or can't open it, possibly because it is a read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected."  I have been trying to read and understand the new permissions security features to see if this why I can't access my data, but that has me further mystified. Seems I'm not the only one having problems now......

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:30 PM
  • I don't know permissions too well. I know that you can remove permissions from a file by copying a file to a USB flash drive that is formatted with FAT32 format. If you then copy the file back from the USB flash drive to your Documents folder, perhaps changing names in the process, you could try opening by right-clicking the file, and choosing Open.
    Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:30 PM
  •   Well are we having fun yet? I've been trying to get through another Texas summer. Money is still opening in Windows 7, not restoring backups, not repairing ect. But since we had a rare August rain day today I started back on the Money problem and had a fresh idea. Since I left an XP install on a boot drive when I went to 7 home premium I had forgotten about I booted it up to check. There was still a Money 2003 install on it just as it was when we updated to 7. After everything loaded I opened it no problem, when it loaded I went to open backup, clicked on the backup it chose from 2019 and after the password it also opened. Just like that. The backup was from Sunset so it was not up to date. But the password worked. That has been the big problem all along. Now I'm not sure which way to go. After all the stuff going on with data breaches. The wife is beside herself with no bookkeeping software after all these weeks. I still need some adult supervision....
    Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:16 PM
  •   Well are we having fun yet? I've been trying to get through another Texas summer. Money is still opening in Windows 7, not restoring backups, not repairing ect. But since we had a rare August rain day today I started back on the Money problem and had a fresh idea. Since I left an XP install on a boot drive when I went to 7 home premium I had forgotten about I booted it up to check. There was still a Money 2003 install on it just as it was when we updated to 7. After everything loaded I opened it no problem, when it loaded I went to open backup, clicked on the backup it chose from 2019 and after the password it also opened. Just like that. The backup was from Sunset so it was not up to date. But the password worked. That has been the big problem all along. Now I'm not sure which way to go. After all the stuff going on with data breaches. The wife is beside herself with no bookkeeping software after all these weeks. I still need some adult supervision....

You appear to be saying that you opened Money 2003, and were able to restore a backup from Money Sunset. That cannot happen. With Money open, Help->About would say Money Plus if you had Sunset, and also Version 17.etc.

If you return to Windows 10, there is still stuff to try. You would copy your *.mny file to your Documents folder, and double-click the file to open Money. You would then want to go to Tools->Settings->BackupSettings for Money Plus Sunset,  and change the location to which Money backs up to a location that exists on the new computer -- typically your Documents folder or a sub-folder in Documents.

I look forward to your response in November. ;-)

Saturday, August 3, 2019 6:40 PM