m.mesh.com Short Authentication Lifetime (iPhone) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a very short authentication lifetime for m.mesh.com, or specifically when accessing the site from an iPhone?  Scenario:

• Log in to m.mesh.com from my iPhone and choose "Save my password" (note that I use "Other email address," i.e. not hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com)
    • Notice that you can access Live Mesh without re-authenticating for about 12-24 hours
    • Try again the next day, and you will be forced to login again

This is obviously very inconvenient on a mobile device.  In contrast, if I access the normal mesh.com desktop from the iPhone, I never need to re-authenticate - it remembers me for weeks (months?).  Unfortunately, the normal mesh.com Live Desktop is not really usable with Mobile Safari, so I'd prefer to use m.mesh.com.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

-Mike

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:52 PM

Answers

• Based on your experience, I'd say that the cookie is expiring rather quickly. I don't have any experience with this, so we'll have to await a response from the Live Mesh team and/or confirmation that others are seeing the same.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:29 PM

All replies

• Based on your experience, I'd say that the cookie is expiring rather quickly. I don't have any experience with this, so we'll have to await a response from the Live Mesh team and/or confirmation that others are seeing the same.

-steve

Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Thanks Steve, that was my guess too.  If that is the case, hopefully it will be a quick and easy fix.

FWIW, it appears that m.mesh.com is "down".  After logging in, I now get this message:

Welcome to Live Mesh!
    Due to an unexpected error, the requested page could not be displayed

Anyone else getting that error?  You can repro just by going to m.mesh.com from your desktop browser.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:09 PM
  • cheapbrew said:

Is there a very short authentication lifetime for m.mesh.com, or specifically when accessing the site from an iPhone?  Scenario:

• Log in to m.mesh.com from my iPhone and choose "Save my password" (note that I use "Other email address," i.e. not hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com)
    • Notice that you can access Live Mesh without re-authenticating for about 12-24 hours
    • Try again the next day, and you will be forced to login again

This is obviously very inconvenient on a mobile device.  In contrast, if I access the normal mesh.com desktop from the iPhone, I never need to re-authenticate - it remembers me for weeks (months?).  Unfortunately, the normal mesh.com Live Desktop is not really usable with Mobile Safari, so I'd prefer to use m.mesh.com.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Just an update: I've asked our Mobile devs to take a look at this, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  In the meantime, please keep us posted on anything you discover: I agree with Steve that this sounds like a cookie issue or something like that; let us know if you discover the cause yourself. ;)

I'll follow up here as soon as I learn anything new.

Thanks,

Ben.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Thanks, appreciate the follow-up.  I tried taking a look at the cookies, but m.mesh.com is most certainly "down" for me now.   I get this error whenever I attempt to log in:

Welcome to Live Mesh!
    Due to an unexpected error, the requested page could not be displayed

I suppose that would be the bigger issue now. :-)

-Mike

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:30 AM
  •  I think you may need to reset the device or flush all temporary Internet files as m.mesh.com is available for me via AT&T 3G (not on an iPhone, though) with no problems at all. It could be a DNS issue for the AT&T network from your location or it is a problem in the browser or network stack.

-steve

Friday, January 30, 2009 6:02 PM