OneCare Circle Red even though machine shows Green RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two partitions on my machine.  One is Windows XP and the other is Windows Vista.  My Windows XP partition is the Hub machine for my circle.  The circle is claiming that the virus and firewall on my Vista partition isn't running even though when I logon to the partition OneCare is green.  The circle claims that the last contact time was when I logged onto the partition.  I thought this was ironed out during the beta.  Any ideas on what the issue maybe?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:04 AM

Answers

• I guess the part that bothers me is that it reports that contact was made last when you logged into the Vista partition. I would expect that the "heartbeat" of OneCare on the Vista PC should have reported the full status, but perhaps that heartbeat to the servers did not include the full status. If you start the Vista side and leave it running and connected for an hour or more, then exit, reboot and go to the machine - it may take an hour or more to receive the updated heartbeat back. Does it change to the correct status eventually?

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:56 PM

All replies

• I guess the part that bothers me is that it reports that contact was made last when you logged into the Vista partition. I would expect that the "heartbeat" of OneCare on the Vista PC should have reported the full status, but perhaps that heartbeat to the servers did not include the full status. If you start the Vista side and leave it running and connected for an hour or more, then exit, reboot and go to the machine - it may take an hour or more to receive the updated heartbeat back. Does it change to the correct status eventually?

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I left the Windows Vista parition running and when I logged onto my Windows XP, which is the hub, it did geventually go Green.  I suspect you are correct that the hearbeat and the status reports are separate.  Thanks for you help.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:41 PM
  • Thanks for confirming.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:38 AM
  • I too get a similar issue. The non-hub PCs seem to turn to red status during shutdown because firewall and/or antivirus is not running and report that to the hub. As a result status is red the whole time the PCs are off. To make matters worse, the status does not turn green until hours after the other systems come back online. The result is so many false alarms that I ignore the warnings about firewall or antivirus not running on other systems. There hasn't been a correct case yet.

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Interesting, I've not seen this. When my monitored PCs shut down, they do not turn red in the hub. If this continues, please contact support to have this investigated. Since I expect that the front line techs won't have a clue about this either ask for the case to be escalated.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:43 AM
  • I have the same, but opposite problem. My desktop PC is the OneCare hub in my circle, and my husband's laptop is the client. My status says that my circle is good, even though I am right in the middle of re-installing OneCare on my husband's computer due to a failure to start. That does not make me feel secure that the status reports I am receiving are valid.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 7:08 PM
  •  SavedOne wrote:
    I have the same, but opposite problem. My desktop PC is the OneCare hub in my circle, and my husband's laptop is the client. My status says that my circle is good, even though I am right in the middle of re-installing OneCare on my husband's computer due to a failure to start. That does not make me feel secure that the status reports I am receiving are valid.

If OneCare didn't start on the laptop, it may have failed so badly as to be unable to communicate the heartbeat to the hub PC on your LAN, so the hub only knows the last status as good. If the core services of OneCare are running, and the firewall fails to start, the hub will receive that information and turn red.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:17 AM