Money file state after forced reboot RRS feed

• Question

• <rant on>

In the absolute fail category for Windows 8 I installed a feature add on (Media Center) without knowing it would forcefully restart the computer without warning during the install process - Thanks Microsoft!  I can add features to Server 2008 and Windows 7 and it never did this.

</rant off>

I had my Money file open, among other programs during this feature add on process.  I've since confirmed any recent changes were still valid in the file (using Sunset).

Have you continued to use any Money file that was open during a reboot process?

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:45 PM

All replies

• I have... 

1. You could do a file repair.

2. You could restore a backup file if this concerns you.

3. Money 2006 and newer keeps multiple backups by default. The default is 4, but that could be changed to 1...99. Multiple timestamped backs can save you from having a corrupted file, and overwriting your only good backup upon exit. This is a good time to review your backup policies.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Windows 7 and Windows 8 close - not kill - any open applications when Windows reboots normally.

If there is a problem, such as querying if you want to save a changed file, you will see a screen noting what is delaying or preventing shutdown and you can cancel the shutdown and choose your option before rebooting.

Money would have been closed normally (and any routine backup file created) before the reboot.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:38 AM