Duplicate Detection Rule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I need to set up the duplicate detection rules for our CRM system. How i want to set it up is first the system checks the Email Address field. If thats not same then it checks for the First Name and Last Name.

How can i accomplish this?

Thanks!

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:01 PM

Answers

• I do not think there is a out of box functionality to define conditional sequence among duplicate rules. If you define 2 dup rules on same entity, both the rules are executed using "OR" clause.

If you want to dup detect on rule2 only if rule1 is true or false then this can certainly be implemented using API.  Here's a link on how to use SDK to retrieve duplicates:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb959486.aspx

While doing the first dup check you can pass only the fields required to validate rule1 and do the same for rule2. 

However, if you choose to use API, you will have to develop your own custom aspx page to display the dups.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:35 AM

All replies

•  

You can setup two duplicate rules, one on email address field and the other on First Name and Last Name. If you publish them, system will run duplicate detection against both the rules.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:28 PM
  • But that does not serve the purpose as i want to check the First Name and Last Name combination only if Email field is verified to be duplicate.

Any clue how to do that?

Thanks!

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:25 PM
  • I do not think there is a out of box functionality to define conditional sequence among duplicate rules. If you define 2 dup rules on same entity, both the rules are executed using "OR" clause.

If you want to dup detect on rule2 only if rule1 is true or false then this can certainly be implemented using API.  Here's a link on how to use SDK to retrieve duplicates:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb959486.aspx

While doing the first dup check you can pass only the fields required to validate rule1 and do the same for rule2. 

However, if you choose to use API, you will have to develop your own custom aspx page to display the dups.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi there,

I tried to Create the workflow from the user interface itself. And I used the condition branch in there. It works and serving the purpose of cascading checks.

But the problem i am facing now is , its setting both of the records (Already existing and New one trying to add) as Inactive. User want to keep the existing one.

Please advise!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:42 PM