Problem with product key on recently purchased used DELL RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, i bought this dell dimension 2400 desktop PC used. The product key thats actually on the computer is different than the product key on the side of the case....(this started as a winxp home SP1, then i upgraded to SP2) But the key that is being used on the computer right now is valid... I am the third owner of this PC. I would like to reformat the hard drive..And reinstall XP.... I have an authentic copy of XP pro from another dell i own that i purchased new, can I use that disk to install the new copy of XP on my computer, and use the orignal KEY that was purchased with the computer when it was new..(the key that was purchased new with the desktop by the original owner)??? I have a feeling i may have a problem with this? Can anyone tell me whats true or false about this, or reccomend what i do?

Thank you,

Justin

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 3:11 AM

Answers

• Justin,

The Dimension 2400 with the XP Home Certificate of Authenticity is only licensed to run XP Home.  Installing a license for XP Pro that is already in use on another computer is just as much software piracy as any instance of outright counterfeiting that you may read about in other posts on this forum.

If you need a CD to do a clean installation of XP Home on the 2400, contact Dell and they will sell you an XP Home Dell OS Reinstallation CD for $12.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:19 AM

All replies

• Justin,

The Dimension 2400 with the XP Home Certificate of Authenticity is only licensed to run XP Home.  Installing a license for XP Pro that is already in use on another computer is just as much software piracy as any instance of outright counterfeiting that you may read about in other posts on this forum.

If you need a CD to do a clean installation of XP Home on the 2400, contact Dell and they will sell you an XP Home Dell OS Reinstallation CD for $12.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:19 AM
  • Thank you for your response dan! Being im not the original owner of this PC do you think dell will allow me to purchase this cd... And what would be a reason for the key being different thats installed on the computer, different from the key sticker on the side of the tower, should i write them down incase i have a re-installation problem?
    Tuesday, December 19, 2006 4:45 AM
  • Justin,

Use the form at this Dell page to transfer records of ownership:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/change_order/en/tag_transfer

It is fully expected that the Product Key used on an original Dell installation of XP will be different from the Product Key that is on the COA affixed to the computer.  The installed Product Key is the key used on the Dell master image that is deployed to and installed on thousands of Dell computers every day.  The PK on the COA is a unique PK that can be used to telephonically activate a replacement installation of XP on the computer if it becomes necessary to install XP onto the computer without using the Dell OS reinstallation CD.

If you search this forum you'll see that Dell uses T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT as the last 15 characters for XP Pro and GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT for XP Home for many of their factory master installations reported by posters to this forum.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:58 AM
  • Dan, talked to someone at dell, and they are sending the CD free of charge, that is good news. So i should write down the KEY thats actually installed on the computer right now, and re-enter it with my new clean installation? Or will it show up as already in use?

Thanks,

Justin

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:35 PM
  • I have a similar problem in that I have no installation media with the computer. I have then used a friends media to run the installation but it won't accept the product key - from your response I understand why though.

However, I have had an online chat with a Dell technical support representative and they stated that they could not supply me with the media required to get XP Home working. So how should I go about inputing the product key (on the COA on the box) and getting an activation code when I cannot use the Dell OS reinstallation CD?

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:26 PM