itunes.dll error on whs console connection (screenshot) RRS feed

• Question

• could someone shed some light on this for me, it only pops when im logging on to the console, not RDP. i have no need for anything itunes related so i am open to options to remedy this issue. screenshot below

http://www.imgboot.com/image.php?u=waltah&i=whserror.png

[img]http://www.imgboot.com/image.php?u=waltah&i=whserror.png[/img]
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• pretty sure i just removed the itunes server. which i dont need.
    But which the Acer add-in (which can't be uninstalled, because it provides other functionality in addition to controlling the iTunes server and because it's baked in to the basic server image for the Acer server) requires.

It unlikely that anything short of going through the server recovery procedure in your manuals will eliminate the error you're seeing.

I'll note for future reference that desktop access to your server (through RDP or, for home-built servers, directly connected KVM) isn't supported. Logging in directly allows users access to tools that can cause a variety of issues, including partial or complete data loss. That's why there's a warning that displays when you log in to your server directly. Being able to log in directly has some benefits, but you should always be extremely careful.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Waltah Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:40 PM
  • found the answer i was looking for...

I had to delete the two DLLs from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the WHS, then delete the two registry references to the DLLs (located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList).  I could only delete the DLLs if I rebooted the WHS and accessed via Remote Desktop Connection.  If the WHS Console was loaded first, then the DLLs were locked and couldn't be deleted.
    • Marked as answer by Waltah Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:48 PM

All replies

• I assume you have an HP MediaSmart Server? Have you made any modifications to your server, done anything outside the console? Installed software? Removed anything?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:57 PM
  • hi ken, sorry for the lack of info. it is an acer h340. I removed a couple programs via add/remove in RDP. hope that helps.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:17 PM
    But which the Acer add-in (which can't be uninstalled, because it provides other functionality in addition to controlling the iTunes server and because it's baked in to the basic server image for the Acer server) requires.

It unlikely that anything short of going through the server recovery procedure in your manuals will eliminate the error you're seeing.

I'll note for future reference that desktop access to your server (through RDP or, for home-built servers, directly connected KVM) isn't supported. Logging in directly allows users access to tools that can cause a variety of issues, including partial or complete data loss. That's why there's a warning that displays when you log in to your server directly. Being able to log in directly has some benefits, but you should always be extremely careful.

• Marked as answer by Waltah Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:40 PM
  • thanks ken, hopefully i can just do a quick restore. i didnt realize it was acer specific bloatware.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:55 PM
  • You will want the server recovery procedure, rather than the factory reset procedure. (Unless you don't mind losing all the data on your server, that is.) Server recovery will preserve the data in your shares, and your backup database. Anything you've installed (add-ins, software installed in a Remote Desktop session, etc.) and anything you've customized (users, any tweaks in Remote Desktop) will be lost. You'll have to re-join your home computer(s) to your server, and for at least one you'll have to uninstall the current connector and reinstall it (to go through the server's OOBE setup experience again).
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:36 PM
  • found the answer i was looking for...

I had to delete the two DLLs from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ on the WHS, then delete the two registry references to the DLLs (located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList).  I could only delete the DLLs if I rebooted the WHS and accessed via Remote Desktop Connection.  If the WHS Console was loaded first, then the DLLs were locked and couldn't be deleted.
    • Marked as answer by Waltah Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:48 PM
  • What two files/registry items did you delete?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:48 PM