How to unblock VLK so I can aloow computer to update windows RRS feed

Answers

• DlineU,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. Unfortunately, the product key used to install either Microsoft Office or Windows is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Office/Windows is an unauthorized installation. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution.  First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased Office and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of Office to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your Office. 

Second, if you purchased this copy of Office from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine below.
    If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key. Each computer must have its own unique product key. Again please follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Why don't you read the customer's question and answer that, instead of preaching the company line about buying valid Office?

To get automatic updates to update windows without checking on Office products you have to change from using Microsoft Update to go back to Windows Updates.

Select Change Settings, then scroll down and select Windows Updates instead of Microsoft Updates. It will ask you if you are sure you want to make the change.

Once you have completed this, Automatic Update will only look for the Windows Updates and no longer hang up on the Office Updates.

good luck

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Michellekirk,

I did answer the customer's question and explained detailed information regarding VLK issued keys. VLKs are issued for a reason as specified in my post. Customers (Companies) pay monies for having a licensing giving them the capability to license/install software on several machines throughout their their corporate LAN. 

Also I encourage reading the EULA for software licensing. WGA is here to protect you.  We encourage everyone who has become a victim to file a piracy report.  You may be eligibe for free software after the investigation process as I identified on the post.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:59 PM
  • I agree with Michelle, you did not answer his issue on how to resolve updating windows.  And even with all the other information you did preach at him, you did not answer the issue completely of a VLK, of what if you did get the version you have from your company, and have been using it for several years, as is my case.  I have been using this, and always passed my Windows Genuine prior to this.  This seems to be an issue revolving around the fact I have Office 2007, and Groove, and went to activate groove.  When I went to check if there were any office updates, I had to go through this whole scenario of the validation, and even though I was not trying to update Visio Professional 2003, but looking at my Office 2007 Professional with Groove, it fails and will do nothing more.  Add to the fact that I do not use Explorer normally, and the activation HAD to go through IE caused all kinds of grief to the point, to even activate my Groove, I had to dial in and get the code.  Now I will not be able to receive my updates for a perfectly legal copy of Office 2007 because of a package that I only use for work, received from work, and you say was reported blocked by them.  I would include screen shots here, but can not.  Add the fact that while you have the Get Genuine option, it does absolutely no good for Visio, because it wants to do Office, and Visio is not included in any version of Office, no matter what year, but yet prevents my updates for a perfectly genuine version of Office.  This is very frustrating, and the whole purpose of receiving the software, was so I would not have to purchase it, and Visio is exorbitantly high priced. 

Chuck Davis

charles.e.davis@gm.com

Friday, May 18, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Ozynet,

I did answer the question. VLK's will not be unblocked. As I explained the keys have been compromised and were blocked by the legal key holder. Large companies, governments, schools etc purchase VLK for their organizations.  They pay for X amount of client workstations assigned to the particular key. Should the key become compromised then it will be blocked. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Ozynet,

Please run the diagnostic and post your results here.  Let me review your report and help.

STephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:25 PM
  •  

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the problem you may be experiencing.  Did you receive any error codes and/or statements whatsoever indicating a failed validation?  Please try validating windows again by visiting the following location:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine next click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner.  What happens?  The genuine site can also provide you with valuable information so please take time and review the documents.  Another site for helping customers identify genuine vs. non-genuine software is located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

Next please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.  This would assist us immensely so we may analyze possible causes for a failed validation.  Next we will begin formulating a resolution for what may be causing the problem.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Please create a new thread with your specific issue and we will work to help you resolve it.

Locking this thread.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

• DlineU,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. Unfortunately, the product key used to install either Microsoft Office or Windows is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of Office/Windows is an unauthorized installation. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution.  First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased Office and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of Office to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your Office. 

Second, if you purchased this copy of Office from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine below.
    If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key. Each computer must have its own unique product key. Again please follow the guidance @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine on how to become genuine.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Why don't you read the customer's question and answer that, instead of preaching the company line about buying valid Office?

To get automatic updates to update windows without checking on Office products you have to change from using Microsoft Update to go back to Windows Updates.

Select Change Settings, then scroll down and select Windows Updates instead of Microsoft Updates. It will ask you if you are sure you want to make the change.

Once you have completed this, Automatic Update will only look for the Windows Updates and no longer hang up on the Office Updates.

good luck

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Michellekirk,

I did answer the customer's question and explained detailed information regarding VLK issued keys. VLKs are issued for a reason as specified in my post. Customers (Companies) pay monies for having a licensing giving them the capability to license/install software on several machines throughout their their corporate LAN. 

Also I encourage reading the EULA for software licensing. WGA is here to protect you.  We encourage everyone who has become a victim to file a piracy report.  You may be eligibe for free software after the investigation process as I identified on the post.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:59 PM
  • I agree with Michelle, you did not answer his issue on how to resolve updating windows.  And even with all the other information you did preach at him, you did not answer the issue completely of a VLK, of what if you did get the version you have from your company, and have been using it for several years, as is my case.  I have been using this, and always passed my Windows Genuine prior to this.  This seems to be an issue revolving around the fact I have Office 2007, and Groove, and went to activate groove.  When I went to check if there were any office updates, I had to go through this whole scenario of the validation, and even though I was not trying to update Visio Professional 2003, but looking at my Office 2007 Professional with Groove, it fails and will do nothing more.  Add to the fact that I do not use Explorer normally, and the activation HAD to go through IE caused all kinds of grief to the point, to even activate my Groove, I had to dial in and get the code.  Now I will not be able to receive my updates for a perfectly legal copy of Office 2007 because of a package that I only use for work, received from work, and you say was reported blocked by them.  I would include screen shots here, but can not.  Add the fact that while you have the Get Genuine option, it does absolutely no good for Visio, because it wants to do Office, and Visio is not included in any version of Office, no matter what year, but yet prevents my updates for a perfectly genuine version of Office.  This is very frustrating, and the whole purpose of receiving the software, was so I would not have to purchase it, and Visio is exorbitantly high priced. 

Chuck Davis

charles.e.davis@gm.com

Friday, May 18, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Ozynet,

I did answer the question. VLK's will not be unblocked. As I explained the keys have been compromised and were blocked by the legal key holder. Large companies, governments, schools etc purchase VLK for their organizations.  They pay for X amount of client workstations assigned to the particular key. Should the key become compromised then it will be blocked. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:22 PM
  • Ozynet,

Please run the diagnostic and post your results here.  Let me review your report and help.

STephen Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:25 PM
  •  

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:06 AM
  •  DlineU wrote:
    How to unlock VLK key ?
    Friday, February 1, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Hello fastsmok,

Please see Stephen's previous posts, we can not unblock a VLK after it has been compromised.  If you received your software from your company then I would suggest contacting the IT admin regarding your product key being blocked.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:13 AM
  • Buy a Genuine Microsft Windows XP...I'm 100% sure that you're prOblem will be solveD....

Saturday, February 2, 2008 11:18 AM
  • ive been getting message for ages about non genuine windows. ive a blocked vlk. dont have disc pc was preloaded. cant find coa on it. dealer gone out business now. i did ask at time for disc  was told it was preloaded. i paid over £300 for pc so dont see why i should pay another £100 for sthing which isnt my fault. it was ok at first and then this message started appearing. i dont know what else i can do about it now.. the shop i got it from is closed down.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 11:59 PM
  • this is the help i need. plus i need it to be free and in easy directions

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the problem you may be experiencing.  Did you receive any error codes and/or statements whatsoever indicating a failed validation?  Please try validating windows again by visiting the following location:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine next click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner.  What happens?  The genuine site can also provide you with valuable information so please take time and review the documents.  Another site for helping customers identify genuine vs. non-genuine software is located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

Next please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.  This would assist us immensely so we may analyze possible causes for a failed validation.  Next we will begin formulating a resolution for what may be causing the problem.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Please create a new thread with your specific issue and we will work to help you resolve it.

Locking this thread.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 5:22 PM