Use more bandwidth? RRS feed

• Question

• Net monitor shows the following average bandwidth (bw):
    Normal conferencing (audio and webcam standard) use about 30-40 kbytes/sec.
    Live meeting seem to use a little more for application sharing etc (40-50kbytes/sec).

After using Communicator Conferences and Live Meetings, I really feel like looking for a "high quality" option somewhere. But I've searched the docs and I find no option for better quality.

Is there a way to make OCS07 utilize more bandwidth? E.g. better framerates for webcams, better document sharing, higher resolution for webcams (some cameras support a lot better than the resolution we use in communicator). Being on a gigabit network, the bw available is often at least 20 times the bw used by OCS!
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 6:24 AM

Answers

• I have not been able to find a way to do this. I am trying to see if anyone else has managed to do this, but there might not be a way. I will post here if I find anything.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:31 PM

All replies

• Have you installed the communicator.adm security template included with the documentation?

In the spreadsheet included it lists the OCS Group Policies and one of them is MaxAudioVideoBitRate. Have you tried configuring this?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Yes I've looked into this. That GPO is disabled by default.
    The policy says: "If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Microsoft Office Communicator uses as much bandwidth as is available and necessary for audio and video calls."

Unfortunately, this policy is for limiting bandwidth and not extending.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 5:27 AM
  • I have not been able to find a way to do this. I am trying to see if anyone else has managed to do this, but there might not be a way. I will post here if I find anything.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

I imported the communicator.adm file but I can't find the maxaudiovideo seeting. I can see it in the excel file but it's missing in the gpo settings.

Rgrds

HenrikR

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:05 AM
  • ok, i found it. Better get myself a pair of glasses Smile However, the setting is only present on the computer level, not user.

Henrik

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:31 PM
  • In a Conference, the Audio codec is Siren so the Maximum bandwith is around 48Kbps.

In a point to point, the Audio codec is RTAudio-WB  and it is  used between OC 2007 and OC 2007 Phone Edition end-points.

Wide band has a higher frequency sampling rate and as such gives better quality, but also more data on the wires.

The Maximum bandwidth between Point to point is 74 Kbps for Audio

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:25 AM