WHS Install on Intel Motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I am just about ready to install WHS on my Intel Mother board (D875PBZ). I have three questions:

1. I am installing on clean hard drives (my previous one crashed). I want to use 3 hard drives, 1 for the OS and 2 for the data. My mother board only has connections for 2 SATA drives so I purchased 1 ULTRA ATA drive (320G) to use for the OS and 2 SATA (500G each) for the data. I installed it all and test booted. All of the drives are recognized in the bios so as far as I'm concerned this configuration will work. Any problems with this mix of ATA and SATA?

2. Prior to install I checked the Intel web site to see if there is a bios upgrade. There is a bios upgrade that I will install. There is also an upgrade to the chipset drivers. However, the upgrade versions are XP, Vista, and Windows Server 2003. Should I install the Windows Server 2003 chipset version?

3. In my bios setup, there is a setting that asks about booting to a "plug and play" configuration. The notes say that answering "No" means that the bios will configure all devices. Answering "yes" will allow the OS (if it is a plug and play OS) to configure devices that are not need for booting. Any suggestions on how I should handle this with WHS?

Thanks in advance 

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:44 PM

All replies

1. No. That configuration should work fine.
    2. Yes. If available, Windows Server 2003 drivers should be used. If they aren't available, usually XP drivers will work.
    3. Yes. You want plug and play configuration turned on.
    That appears to be an older motherboard. You may want to consider something more recent.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Why do you say that? That board more than meets minimum specs and certainly capable of acting as a WHS platform...

New hardware certainly may have more longevity due to being newer, But otherwise older platforms can certainly be re-purposed to act as servers because servers don't need to be super-powered.

Ken Warren wrote:

That appears to be an older motherboard. You may want to consider something more recent.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:23 PM
  • It's an older motherboard, with older components. (Wet electrolytic capacitors almost for sure.) It's passed the end of interactive support from the manufacturer. (2 years ago now.) And it doesn't have Windows Server 2003 drivers available; those drivers are definitely preferable to XP drivers. Overall, I don't think it's a great board. If it's the only one you have, though, and you don't want to spend the money to buy something new, it's certainly workable.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Right on, I was looking at it from a cost standpoint, but it's definitely pre-Server 2003 stuff. It blows if all the drivers are XP drivers as the QA standards on XP drivers blow compared to Server 2003 drivers. How some of the XP drivers even get approved is beyond me because they're anything but stable.

I believe I can see the point for buying new (or semi-new) hardware for WHS, seeing as Server 2003 driver availability and stability and WHS licensing is tied to the motherboard.

Ken Warren wrote:
    It's an older motherboard, with older components. (Wet electrolytic capacitors almost for sure.) It's passed the end of interactive support from the manufacturer. (2 years ago now.) And it doesn't have Windows Server 2003 drivers available; those drivers are definitely preferable to XP drivers. Overall, I don't think it's a great board. If it's the only one you have, though, and you don't want to spend the money to buy something new, it's certainly workable.

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:13 PM
  • It looks like I'm going to replace the motherboard after all. After spending all day yesterday working on it, I started getting repeated overheating shutdowns in the middle of installing the software. I don't believe it is from the CPU since the CPU and case fans have been running just fine and the CPU is cool to the touch when I removed the heatsink. The only other changes I have made  to the system is a new WD hard drive which seems to be working fine (no noise, no heat).

I typically use Intel CPUs. Any suggestions on motherboard specs and makers for the replacement. I would actually like to go out today and get it.

Thanks

Monday, May 5, 2008 2:06 PM
  • On MWAVE.COM, they have several gigabyte motherboards with Intel chipsets, I verified they have Server 2003 drivers for them as well. I would recommend them. (The boards I'm referring to are all FULL ATX form factor boards) Micro-ATX boards are for sissies! j/k

gpdavis wrote:

It looks like I'm going to replace the motherboard after all. After spending all day yesterday working on it, I started getting repeated overheating shutdowns in the middle of installing the software. I don't believe it is from the CPU since the CPU and case fans have been running just fine and the CPU is cool to the touch when I removed the heatsink. The only other changes I have made  to the system is a new WD hard drive which seems to be working fine (no noise, no heat).

I typically use Intel CPUs. Any suggestions on motherboard specs and makers for the replacement. I would actually like to go out today and get it.

Thanks

Monday, May 5, 2008 6:57 PM