Could not start UI Subsystem RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the forums and found several probems with UI Subsystem. My first problem that I know of is that my system requiremts are deffently lacking however, I will try to install it anyway

Optiplex GX110 
    pentimun 3 700MHertz
    100gig
    500 meg ram

Now what hapens for me is I will start the PC and it will start booting from the DVD, it will go to Initalizing the install and will get to the 4th bar then the screen will pop saying it will cant start the UI subsystem. What I do know is taht the DVD is good, it came from microsoft and I put the DVD in my laptop and the install worked just fine. So the questions is would it being only 700 instead of 1ghert would cause that kind of people.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    WHS is based on Server 2003, so anything you use, should be compatible with 2003 for best results. As such, I don't think there is any DVD burners which support 2003.
    Don't forget that unless you know exactly what you are doing, using the server for anything other than what it was designed for, can lead to anything from nebulous errors, to total data loss.

In your BIOS section for the SATA disks, change the setting, from SATA to 'Compatible' 'IDE equivalent' or similar. Server 2003 will not recognise SATA disks natively, if you don't change the above BIOS settings, you will need to provide disk drivers. These will need to be installed twice, once during the graphical section, then again by pressing F6 during the second portion.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• I've seen a few fixes for this.

1. Resetting bios to default.
    2. Changing around drives.  ie put your hard drive before your DVD drive.
    3. Use an external USB DVD drive.
    4. Using a different DVD drive.
    5. Simply changing the dvd plug to a different channel on the board.

In your case it would seem that you need to disable raid in your bios.
    1) Go into the BIOS 
    2) Find the menu having to do with SATA settings, then look for something called "SATA Operation". Switch the settings from "RAID On" to "Raid Autodetect/ATA".
    3)You should no have no problem installing Windows Home Server on your Dell!

athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Are you sure my PC has that RAID? I have looked through the BIOS several times and have not found it yet
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:37 AM
  • Can't be sure at all.  I just noticed that fixed the problem for someone else with an Optiplex.  Doing a search shows some documents from dell and I don't see RAID mentioned.  Perhaps trying some of the other suggestions would work.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:54 AM
  • Well I am pretty sure I do not have RAID. I have swithed back and forth how my HD and DVD is loacated, Could I be getting this problem because I dont meant the min speed and all.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I don't think not meeting the requirements would present that error, I could be wrong though.  I do believe others have ran WHS with less then the required hardware.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Ok, Well i have also tried resetting the bios and no luck with that
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Also will an older PC be able to boot from a usb DVD rom? And if the DVD rom worked perfectly before could it still be the dvd rom?
    • Edited by facefrench Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:30 PM
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:57 PM
  • One more thing, if I were to go out and buy a dvd burner is WHS capable of burning dvds? And what brand and models of DVD burnes have  people had suscess installing WHS on the PC with
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Hi,
    WHS is based on Server 2003, so anything you use, should be compatible with 2003 for best results. As such, I don't think there is any DVD burners which support 2003.
    Don't forget that unless you know exactly what you are doing, using the server for anything other than what it was designed for, can lead to anything from nebulous errors, to total data loss.

In your BIOS section for the SATA disks, change the setting, from SATA to 'Compatible' 'IDE equivalent' or similar. Server 2003 will not recognise SATA disks natively, if you don't change the above BIOS settings, you will need to provide disk drivers. These will need to be installed twice, once during the graphical section, then again by pressing F6 during the second portion.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:11 PM