What is this Tunneling Issue ??? RRS feed

• Question

• NeerajGarg mention the other day wloc firewall had 3 tunneling connections issues the only 3 connections I have is a xp computer, Windows Vista computer and my xbox360.

I want to know. What is Tunnelling? I never heard the term before.

Monday, August 20, 2007 5:19 PM

Answers

• From Wikipedia

A tunneling protocol is a network protocol which encapsulates a payload protocol, acting as a payload protocol. Reasons to tunnel include carrying a payload over an incompatible delivery network, or to provide a secure path through an untrusted network.

Please don't ask me what it means!

Tom

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• From Wikipedia

A tunneling protocol is a network protocol which encapsulates a payload protocol, acting as a payload protocol. Reasons to tunnel include carrying a payload over an incompatible delivery network, or to provide a secure path through an untrusted network.

Tom

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:37 PM
  • LOL! I'll mark you post as answer, Tom, because it is. :-)

A VPN connection is the most common form of tunneling - Virtual Private Network - used to make a secure connection to a destination over the Internet.

Another common form is in the case of a Virtual Server or PC. The Host OS is the one that has the hardware, but through the magic of Virtual PC products, the guest PC has access to the network adapter free from constraints by the Host because it sets up a Virtual Network connection inside the Host OS.

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:06 AM
  •  

Tom_g35 wrote:

From Wikipedia

Tom

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:39 AM
  • I knew that really !

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:48 PM